Background colors for tanks

saltwaterfish.com

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 6, 2023
Messages
553
Reaction score
503
Location
Vero Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a preferred background color for tanks? I think the main staple in the saltwater hobby tends to be that deep blue color, I personally prefer black but I have also seen people get creative with it and do those non adhesive cling film backgrounds that look like stained glass or have patterns on them. I also really like whenever people make their backgrounds 3D with rocks and caves to make it look like a shelf out of a wild reef.
 
I currently use black and have used blue in the past. Inevitably, whatever you choose won’t change anything in the tank, it’s just your aesthetic. You’re the one looking at it and enjoying it, so go with whatever makes you happy!
 
With temperature changes? 😂
Yea temp, lol. Coralline is my background color.
20250726_104506.jpg
 
I am setting up a new tank soon. So this is an intersting topic for me. Current tank has a blue film over back. not a huge fan as it looks Odd in places etc. Most folks paint the back. Are there other options that hold up to water dripping etc?
 
I am setting up a new tank soon. So this is an intersting topic for me. Current tank has a blue film over back. not a huge fan as it looks Odd in places etc. Most folks paint the back. Are there other options that hold up to water dripping etc?
Other option people use is a dark window tint film.
 
I prefer black but that is just me!
 
I've always had black back tanks
This times ,I've decided to go with deep blue.
Here is my new tank at the workshop of the best aquarium builder in the country where I live, undergoing final polishing and finishing touches before being transported to my home tomorrow...
Screenshot_20260908-221348_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20260908-221355_WhatsApp.jpg
 
Well, most of the equipment we place in our tanks are colored black; so black has always been the more logical choice in terms of aesthetics, IMO.
 
I like black from the standpoint that most equipment is black and blends in better. I am an artist however and went a different route with a mural on my current tank.
20250913_102402.jpg
20250913_111519.jpg
20251025_151229.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new