Backup ATO Question

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the Hydros Control 4. It has an ATO but it makes me nervous with only one sensor. I like my Tunze Osmolator, but it does have one flaw — if the lower electric eye sensor gets gunk it thinks it’s in water and then the return ends up running dry. Easy to fix when home but not remotely.
My idea is to keep the Tunze Osmolator as the main ATO. I could then place the sensor for the Hydros ATO a smidge below the Tunze low-mark sensor. If the Tunze sensor falsely thinks it is in water because of gunk, then the Hydros should take over until I get the Tunze cleaned? Any risks here? Would the Hydros Control 4 show power surges on the Hydros ATO pump to tell me that the Hydros ATO has been running and that therefore the Tunze needs cleaned? I mean, it seems great to me, but am I missing some potential failure?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure about the Tunze, but it is possible to use another one of your sense ports on the Hydros for another water level sensor?

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the Tunze, but it is possible to use another one of your sense ports on the Hydros for another water level sensor?
Yes, which was the idea, except that knowing is not enough. I need a second pump available if the Osmolator thinks that the water level is fine but instead it is low.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back