Backup Equipment to keep on hand?

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What all does everyone keep on hand for backup equipment of something breaks?

I'm currently running two 100W BRS titanium heaters on a inkbird wifi controller in my 40 gallon (53g with sump). I plan on ordering an extra heater to keep on hand in case one goes down.

Currently I don't have any coral and haven't setup my powerheads, but would a couple of cheap ones be wise to have on hand once I do?

I figure if my sump return pump or skimmer goes down I can replace those before any major negative effects

I also have two ai Prime 16hd lights for when I add coral, I figure one would keep them happy enough for a week or so if I move it around if one went down.

Thoughts?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only have 1 return pump on your tank I would consider that the single most important back up. I am not for back up heaters as I can easily adjust the temperature in my home if I need to while I wait for a heater, but if this is not easy then a back up would be a wise move.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I have a backup is the return pump. I have two heaters in my sump so if one goes down there would be no problem since it can handle keeping the tank at correct temp

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure if my sump return pump or skimmer goes down I can replace those before any major negative effects
Just make sure that if you do that if you lose your return pump, you move at least one of the heaters up to the tank. And if you're looking for a reason to buy a powerhead, that would be it. If you're going to have a heater in the tank for more than, say, a day or so, you'll probably want the water moving around.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I have a backup is the return pump. I have two heaters in my sump so if one goes down there would be no problem since it can handle keeping the tank at correct temp
I purchased this aquarium used, although only 4 months old. I gather he set it up with two 100Ws so that if one failed on or off it wouldn't overheat if high and would give him adequate time to replace if one failed off.

But they are controlled with the inkbird, so I would assume there is really no way for the heaters to fail high themselves... just the inkbird.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure that if you do that if you lose your return pump, you move at least one of the heaters up to the tank. And if you're looking for a reason to buy a powerhead, that would be it. If you're going to have a heater in the tank for more than, say, a day or so, you'll probably want the water moving arou

That return pump as others have said has to be the most important.
Thanks everyone, guess a backup return pump is on order for sure then!

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My backup return pump is the exact same model as the one currently running. When a failure occurs, it should be plug and play with no plumbing changes necessary.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My backup return pump is the exact same model as the one currently running. When a failure occurs, it should be plug and play with no plumbing changes necessary.
Got cha. Yeah that's what I'll order. I guess the return pump didn't hit me as something to keep cause I have a cheap HOB filter I can throw on there to keep water moving and I don't have anything in my refugium really right now but plan too. So a backup pump does seem to be something I should for sure have.

Plus i wouldn't have to move heaters around etc. Just hook up the new pump.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, as important as it is to have back up stuff ready to go, IMO, it's such an expensive hobby that I find it's easier to 'accumulate' these things. That is, I don't advocate for buying two of everything. But having a back up can be a good reason/excuse to upgrade. For example, I just upgraded my return pump from a hygger that worked just fine and probably has years and years of life left, to an Ecotech Vectra. Partially because I liked the idea of the feed mode and it fits in with the rest of my mobius gear, but I also now have that hygger pump on a shelf in my basement, ready to go.

I have a bunch of powerheads laying around for the same reason. I have extra heaters from setting up and tearing down quarantine tanks as I need them.
Without purposely buying anything specifically as a backup, the only thing I don't have on hand is a skimmer (or the pump for a skimmer), but don't think that would be a big deal, especially considering I have multiple LFSs in the area and I can get something from Amazon in 1 or 2 days and BRS orders typically arrive the next day.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a backup for everything.
Took a year to get it all but if a pump goes out its always when the lfs is closed. Plus you cant find the gear I use at the 3 local lfs in my area.
I use mostly Tunze equipment and the lfs does not carry it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back