Backup rechargable battery bubbler?

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a dependable rechargable battery bubbler that will cut on when the power goes out...

Anyone tried any of these? How long have you had it? Has it been dependable?

Any other recs? Thanks!

Screenshot_20211020-091101_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's a backup to my backup, lol. I have an ecotech battery backup for my MP40s, but if we had a major power outage in DC, although not super likely, I would use the bubbler for either my sump or my main tank in a real emergency.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's a backup to my backup, lol. I have an ecotech battery backup for my MP40s, but if we had a major power outage in DC, although not super likely, I would use the bubbler for either my sump or my main tank in a real emergency.
I plan on using an inverter off one of our cars for any extended outage. Might get a generator, but don't like the idea of having to keep another gas engine maintenance that is almost never used.

Really just want this to be able to keep it aerated for 10 hours or so until I get home and get other things in place.

Don't want to have to keep my power head pointed at the surface all the time for failures when I'm not home.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this, would detect a power outage and either switch on or switch off a DC circuit. Kinda like this idea cause I could use any battery and any DC air pump (or AC that has a DC transformer plug).

Enclosed AC/DC Power Relay with Protection & De-Bounce. Screw Terminals. 120V Trigger Input. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017743I7S/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_VNJW6Q62XJ0WVRN0SE05

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't trust that the rechargeable batteries in those are of good enough quality to rely on. There are so many cheap quality items on Amazon that I just don't trust.

I've got a couple of those 2D battery backup like Nburg as a backup to my backup UPS. Plus my generator. What is great about these is that they come on when power is lost to the outlet your plugged into and I know I can rely on Duracell or Energizer batteries.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Penn plax ones on all my tanks. Very reliable. The second the power goes off, they kick on. Just be sure to get the one that has the plug. Also, test it out to make sure you didn't accidentally push the red button on top and turn it off.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, keep in mind that that airstone can get covered in coraline algae and might get clogged, so you'll have to replace it every few months.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, keep in mind that that airstone can get covered in coraline algae and might get clogged, so you'll have to replace it every few months.
Yeah, had thought of that. Kinda think of making my own and having it on a time circuit that runs it for 15 minutes or so a day, but then it would use the battery... unless I powered it with a ac/DC transformer for that time.... Not sure yet. Still contemplating what I want to do. Lol

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like the idea of a rechargeable battery bubbler. I have some of the same questions as the OP however it appears to me like some of these might use replaceable rechargeable D cells. If that’s the case, battery degradation isn’t a huge concern if they’re replaceable.

Not as an end-all-be-all backup, but something to just drop in the tanks on vacation. So the air stones getting covered in coraline etc. isn’t a huge issue for me. Just something to cover a 20-40hr power outage with automatic turn on so the fish sitter doesn’t have to deal with a generator for at least that long. From what I’ve found you have at least 4 hours before fish start to suffer, so aside from vacation or work travel, no need to leave them connected/in the tank 24/7.

The trouble is picking the right option. I haven’t decided yet.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, keep in mind that that airstone can get covered in coraline algae and might get clogged, so you'll have to replace it every
Personally I like the idea of a rechargeable battery bubbler. I have some of the same questions as the OP however it appears to me like some of these might use replaceable rechargeable D cells. If that’s the case, battery degradation isn’t a huge concern if they’re replaceable.

Not as an end-all-be-all backup, but something to just drop in the tanks on vacation. So the air stones getting covered in coraline etc. isn’t a huge issue for me. Just something to cover a 20-40hr power outage with automatic turn on so the fish sitter doesn’t have to deal with a generator for at least that long. From what I’ve found you have at least 4 hours before fish start to suffer, so aside from vacation or work travel, no need to leave them connected/in the tank 24/7.

The trouble is picking the right option. I haven’t decided yet.
I'm new to all this so I don't really know what a safe amount of time to go without aeration is... I have read after 2 hours things start to go down hill, but have also had a 15 year reefer says his was down for 29 hours with no issue once. If everyone thinks 8 hours would be safe I'd probably just use them for vacation, etc like you stated.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water doesn't hold a lot of dissolved oxygen so the level is largely determined by consumption vs. oxygenation rate. So if oxygenation rate is nearly zero it's going to run out pretty fast unless the tank is generously understocked.

Two hours sounds about right. I see drops of 1-2 mg/L per hour in unaerated tanks but YMMV.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water doesn't hold a lot of dissolved oxygen so the level is largely determined by consumption vs. oxygenation rate. So if oxygenation rate is nearly zero it's going to run out pretty fast unless the tank is generously understocked.

Two hours sounds about right. I see drops of 1-2 mg/L per hour in unaerated tanks but YMMV.
Obviously there’s no hard and fast rule. Totally depends on water volume vs. stocking. A couple of large tangs in an aquarium that’s too small are going to have issues a lot sooner than a small or medium stocked setup. I’ve read the guideline generally of 4-6 hours but everyone’s setup is different.

My point though is that if you’re not out of town there’s a good chance you (or a household member) can get to the aquarium within 2-6 hours for intervention. For reference, I recently had an outage of about 10 hours in a 40g light to medium stocked tank. Fish all survived, but I bought a generator and have been thinking about vacation plans ever since. Keeping a backup bubbler in the tank 24/7 is great and all, but whether that’s completely necessary or not depends on lifestyle.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of the PennPlax B10 (2D battery) air pumps that are mentioned in a couple of the posts above.
Can't speak to the longevity since I've only used them a handful of times but they've worked so far.

Pros:
-- They do come on automatically when power goes out.

Cons:
-- You cannot run them on AC if you wanted to. They only run on the batteries. (AC plug is on it just to detect loss of AC, obviously). *might not be a concern, just mentioning.
-- The included airstones suck and fall apart quickly so I'd buy different stones.

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of the PennPlax B10 (2D battery) air pumps that are mentioned in a couple of the posts above.
Can't speak to the longevity since I've only used them a handful of times but they've worked so far.

Pros:
-- They do come on automatically when power goes out.

Cons:
-- You cannot run them on AC if you wanted to. They only run on the batteries. (AC plug is on it just to detect loss of AC, obviously). *might not be a concern, just mentioning.
-- The included airstones suck and fall apart quickly so I'd buy different stones.

Thanks, I got all set up

Attachments

• 20211029_164430.jpg
    20211029_164430.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211029_164654.mp4
    15.3 MB

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Aquatop ones both as a backup and when I move my tanks between apartments

OP
OP
Coxey81

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Aquatop ones both as a backup and when I move my tanks between apartments

Thanks, I looked at those too. Ended up with Penn plax just cause more people recommended it. But from the video I saw in those they would have worked as well. They did seem louder though, but if you aren't home... then?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I looked at those too. Ended up with Penn plax just cause more people recommended it. But from the video I saw in those they would have worked as well. They did seem louder though, but if you aren't home... then?
They are louder, but I figured with them as a backup, I can compromise on noise if it means my livestock won't die :)

I would get the IceCap battery backup, but I have an AI Nero pump right now

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back