Backwoods Lab, no moonshine, just NPS stuff

Did i tell you i can only work with 10 amp max. I install time delay fuses 12 amps. Shouldnt be a problem. Not big aquarium

1400W is a lot of available power. I grow hardy livestock and have found heat a bigger issue than cold. Even though your livestock does not need sun, that storage container is a heat collector.

With respect to your Hyatt sp? Filtration, I am curious to see results.

IMO, vegetable filter are very efficient: ATS, Chaeto reactor or macro refugium.
 
Last edited:
What about a solar thermal panel . You could make one yourself using plastic tube instead of all that copper, brass and stainless. save on resin
 
What about a solar thermal panel . You could make one yourself using plastic tube instead of all that copper, brass and stainless. save on resin
Your comment reminds me when before the net, there was books needed to find info.
I have two books published in 1970's, how to make alcohol & modify your car to run on it. It mentions, how to make a solar distiller .
You planted some seeds, on heating cheaply water.

Also one client showed me just by installing black garden hose on roof, you can get scolding hot water for a spa.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
1400W is a lot of available power. I grow hardy livestock and have found heat a bigger issue than cold. Even though your livestock does not need sun, that storage container is a heat collector.

With respect to your Hyatt sp? Filtration, I am curious to see results.

IMO, vegetable filter are very efficient: ATS, Chaeto reactor or macro refugium.
About Hiatt filtration
I'm already running it on tank system for the dendro's I'm waiting on. I'm feeding 45mL of food every 20 minutes, 24/7, I add, every 3 days, Hiatt product for bacteria to reduce nitrates & PO4, and probably other elements. Product call it unstuck.
I know it's sugar and smells like Chile pepers, but dont know their ingredients? I know it has sugar one ants love it, two when residue on bottle drys alittle stick like sugar.

I test NO3 &PO4, very very low.
 
Your comment reminds me when before the net, there was books needed to find info.
I have two books published in 1970's, how to make alcohol & modify your car to run on it. It mentions, how to make a solar distiller .
You planted some seeds, on heating cheaply water.

Also one client showed me just by installing black garden hose on roof, you can get scolding hot water for a spa.

Thanks
A black plastic overhead drum in the sun makes for a good camp shower[emoji12]
 
A black plastic overhead drum in the sun makes for a good camp shower[emoji12]
Hate to say it. I haven't been camping in ages. Thanks for info

But, when I'm out there, will set one up. Thanks
 
Last edited:
Today I install a titanium heat exchanger in frig. HEx, hooked to a pump and SW recirculating, temperature control turns pump on/off. We'll shall see. Next time I visit installing exhaust vent on roof.

Going to use heat from condenser coils to heat tank easy 120 degrees
Just need to figure out how

Stay tune
 
A black plastic overhead drum in the sun makes for a good camp shower[emoji12]
Lol, don't scald yourself.

The old solar shower bags worked great. Sometimes too well. You could learn from experience how long to leave it out before use.
[emoji6]
 
Love the geothermal idea! With that shipping container you should have lots of control over how much light the children of the sea get too. Was reading something recently about too much light causing fouling organisms to attach and decay the dendro tissue... not sure if you’ve seen that one. I think it was on advancedaquarist.com.

Are you going to try that “coral sprint” food i0nz on the NPS eye candy thread was talking about at some point? Have been eyeing it up myself for my tank but don’t know if I will have anything with small enough polyps to eat bacteria.
 
Love the geothermal idea! With that shipping container you should have lots of control over how much light the children of the sea get too. Was reading something recently about too much light causing fouling organisms to attach and decay the dendro tissue... not sure if you’ve seen that one. I think it was on advancedaquarist.com.

Are you going to try that “coral sprint” food i0nz on the NPS eye candy thread was talking about at some point? Have been eyeing it up myself for my tank but don’t know if I will have anything with small enough polyps to eat bacteria.
On dendronephthya haven't heard/read article.
I've been adding Sprint in my food recipe. I like it. Reef roids, I use too.
 
I was going to supplement alittle heat in cargo container. No problem. Other ways to do that.
here's a solution jomama
depending on the direction one long side of your container is facing, paint the top & one side flat black to absorb more heat from the sun during the winter months.
To counter this during the warmer months, use a white garden shade cloth above the roof to reflect sunlight to prevent over heating during summer
upload_2018-11-8_9-2-14.png
 
here's a solution jomama
depending on the direction one long side of your container is facing, paint the top & one side flat black to absorb more heat from the sun during the winter months.
To counter this during the warmer months, use a white garden shade cloth above the roof to reflect sunlight to prevent over heating during summer
upload_2018-11-8_9-2-14.png
A friend just mentioned this week about white shade cloth technique. Thanks for sharing. What you think of " Backwoods Lab " that's the name of Project X. Heehee:p
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.4%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new