Bacteria Bloom (?)

larrythelobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Noob here again

My water is slowly starting to get cloudy? I just want to make sure everything is fine from the community

When I turn off the flow a lot of the bigger white specs move and twich, but there are a lot a lot of white smaller particles that are starting to turn up.

Any idea on what they are? And how I can control this or slow it down? Ammonia is at zero

I don’t want to mess anything up, I’m so close to finally adding fish ):

5th week cycling my 30 gallon
2 peppermint shrimps
2 turbo snails
So far..

Canister filter with bio, floss and carbon
Surface skimmer

IMG_3576.jpeg

IMG_3577.jpeg

IMG_3578.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi, Noob here again

My water is slowly starting to get cloudy? I just want to make sure everything is fine from the community

When I turn off the flow a lot of the bigger white specs move and twich, but there are a lot a lot of white smaller particles that are starting to turn up.

Any idea on what they are? And how I can control this or slow it down? Ammonia is at zero

I don’t want to mess anything up, I’m so close to finally adding fish ):

5th week cycling
2 peppermint shrimps
2 turbo snails
So far..

Canister filter with bio, floss and carbon
Surface skimmer
IMG_3576.jpeg

IMG_3577.jpeg

IMG_3578.jpeg
I suspect lack of filtration. Is this an all in one tank or standard tank with internal and hang-on filter?
With hang on filter, often you will have a situation where you have mechanical filtration but lack chemical and biological filtration which the HOF cannot keep up with suspended matter which in turn gives the system that milky/hazy appearance

OP
OP
L

larrythelobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect lack of filtration. Is this an all in one tank or standard tank with internal and hang-on filter?
With hang on filter, often you will have a situation where you have mechanical filtration but lack chemical and biological filtration which the HOF cannot keep up with suspended matter which in turn gives the system that milky/hazy appearance
I have a canister filter
Carbon
Bio filter
Floss
Just changed it too
I have a 30 gallon tank and the canister is for a 75 gallon

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a canister filter
Carbon
Bio filter
Floss
Just changed it too
I have a 30 gallon tank and the canister is for a 75 gallon
Your canister is a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The canister will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge/media.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100
Ammonia spike may have been very possible and often undetectable after the spike event.

OP
OP
L

larrythelobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your canister is a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The canister will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge/media.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100
Ammonia spike may have been very possible and often undetectable after the spike event.
Oh okay thank u dang ):

Will look into those things

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back