Bacteria (e.g., Dr Tims, Seachem Stability) Clogging Socks in Hours?

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a situation of a tank a few months old, going thru a separate cycle, can nitrification bacteria, such as Dr Tims One and Only, Seachem Stability, and API Starter, or possibly even ammonia and nitrite binding agents cause filter socks to within 24 hours?

If so, should the socks be changed immediately, or should I wait until nitrite has dropped from 2 ppm? I'm wondering because I'm unsure if those are bacterial colonies on the sock pores (in which case, the socks should stay, so they can help populate the live rock) or if they're consumed bacterial wastes (in which case, a sock change is warranted).

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiZASTiX

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true. Having used the product before, I did it this time by memory, and forgot about the socks. Of course, this doesn't hurt anything, but could reduce the efficacy of the dosing--but the question is just that: are socks reducing the efficacy, or are they catching waste material from bacterial?

At this point, should I change the socks, or leave them alone to overflow?

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are concerned about losing the bacteria colonies in the socks, you could always take them out of the holders and just put them in the bottom of the sump for a few days to let them seed the rest of the tank

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they do recommend that you remove the socks. I'm no expert but I would think you would have beneficial bacteria on the sock and then when you take the sock out you don't have any.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back