Bacteria for Bio Balls?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aspect
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2022
Messages
1,578
Reaction score
846
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just wondering what bacteria people have added to jump start their bio pellets and what has/hasn't worked.
 
Just wondering what bacteria people have added to jump start their bio pellets and what has/hasn't worked.
Bio pellets are a carbon source which dissolve slowly over time to “feed” the bacteria and increase populations.
I use a mix, not all brands use all strains. More diversity better.
 
Bio pellets are a carbon source which dissolve slowly over time to “feed” the bacteria and increase populations.
I use a mix, not all brands use all strains. More diversity better.
What's your mix? Has it worked for you?
 
Dr. Tim’s, Seachem seed, and Fritz is the mix.
I added before lights on with no flow, whole
I also dose phyto twice a week.

How did it work. Great question.
No way to quantify that, but rocks clean, nutrients stable without water change, clean white sand.

Bacteria adds are somewhat a leap of faith, makes sense to me, but again certainly did not hurt anything, and by logic, has increased my biological function and feed my corals.
FF83364F-B7F8-4B53-B804-46EF168D6AA8.jpeg
 
Dr. Tim’s, Seachem seed, and Fritz is the mix.
I added before lights on with no flow, whole
I also dose phyto twice a week.

How did it work. Great question.
No way to quantify that, but rocks clean, nutrients stable without water change, clean white sand.

Bacteria adds are somewhat a leap of faith, makes sense to me, but again certainly did not hurt anything, and by logic, has increased my biological function and feed my corals.
FF83364F-B7F8-4B53-B804-46EF168D6AA8.jpeg
How much are you using and what volume is your tank? Whatever you're doing it looks like it's working great.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 44.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new