Bacteria/Fungal infection of corals?

Torqued

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at wits end....I am curious if i am dealing with a bacterial or fungal infection. Fish look healthy btw, so no issues there. All critters appear OK. But all corals, LPS, zoas, sps look extremely stressed or are dying. Polyp extension is poor during the day, and not at all at night. Montis look marginally better than acros, but still not healthy. The digi and cap do have a bit of color, though and mild PE. They seem the least effected. My Gorgs, toadstool, and leather appear in good shape with EXTREME polyp extension.

One thing that makes me think fungal is possible is the fungal growth around the tank. I have had a good deal of mildew on the inside of the canopy, and some white fungal growth around the inside of my rollermat (right where the water level fluctuates). What have others experienced when dealing with fungal/bacterial infections, and how did you correct it?

Original post with background:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/something-isnt-right-need-some-help.587876/

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw your other thread. Very discouraging, I wish I had an answer for you.
tbh I've never heard of a confirmed fungal outbreak plaguing a saltwater tank.
Maybe it happens, but probably fairly rare. Terrestrial fungi, molds and mildew won't grow in saltwater.
And most bacterial outbreaks seem to cause white cloudy water and white stringy or filmy deposits on surfaces.
Dinos were mentioned in the first thread; that's a possibility.

OP
OP
Torqued

Torqued

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw your other thread. Very discouraging, I wish I had an answer for you.
tbh I've never heard of a confirmed fungal outbreak plaguing a saltwater tank.
Maybe it happens, but probably fairly rare. Terrestrial fungi, molds and mildew won't grow in saltwater.
And most bacterial outbreaks seem to cause white cloudy water and white stringy or filmy deposits on surfaces.
Dinos were mentioned in the first thread; that's a possibility.

Yeah, there is def no visible bacterial bloom. Water is very clear. I THINK my issue is simple. The algaes/cyano I have dealt with, along with aggressive carbon/gfo/skimming has the Nutrients available to the corals too sparse. Add WAY too much light, and high alkalinity, and you have a recipe of disaster.

I am going to let my alk drop as suggested....double feedings, and keep track of po4 and address with lanthanum chloride (sp?) via Phosphate-E product if it gets up to .05 ppm . This way I can leave the No3 alone its NEVER been a problem, if anything its been an issue keeping it above 0. If I can keep the algae at bay, I SHOULD start to see the corals rebound.

OP
OP
Torqued

Torqued

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just following up.... I've got dinoflagellates..... That almost certainly is the issue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Don’t see pics but typical suspect for bacteria film is over feeding and/or lack of water flow. Also- what is your filtration method?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back