Bacteria/mag level/algae help/cuc question

Cole.mormon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a good idea? Soak bio media in a bacteria/saltwater solution then add to tank. Will use microbacter 7 and microbacter clean. Am going to disassemble protein skimmer tomorrow. will add soaked media after a week.
So here's the over all plan. I have a 6 gal fuge section, then will be the rubble section filled to the brim with soaked bio media
I am also going to raise mag to 1200, how to do that?
I am having problems with algae that is what the mag is for.
Am also going to send out an icp test to triton to see what is wrong with my tank.
Have been battling hair algae green and red film algae, cyano, red and green slime, and bubble algae. I also recently added 3 emerald crabs and two red legs to the refugium. I have also added a tuxedo urchin and a pencil urchin a while back. Been battling algae for about 4 months now. I am tired of it.
So I will need some opionions and guidance, below you can see my clean up crew for dt tank and filtration. If you need more info just ask.

Dt clean up crew

1 giant turbo snail
2 smaller turbo snails
1 giant top crown snail
20+ astrea snails
4 cerith snails
1 lawnmower blenny
1 1in tuxedo urchin
1 pencil urchin
1 super small red leg hermit crab
1 large blue leg hermit crab

also when the pencil urchin grows to full size should I re home it to another reefer

Thanks for the help

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of questions here... let’s start with the algae issue because that seems to be your main concern. What are all your levels at and type of lighting and equipment are you using?

Dkh
Calcium
Mag
Ph
Nitrates
Phosphates
Lighting period

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a good idea? Soak bio media in a bacteria/saltwater solution then add to tank. Will use microbacter 7 and microbacter clean. Am going to disassemble protein skimmer tomorrow. will add soaked media after a week.
So here's the over all plan. I have a 6 gal fuge section, then will be the rubble section filled to the brim with soaked bio media
Am also going to send out an icp test to triton to see what is wrong with my tank.
Have been battling hair algae green and red film algae, cyano, red and green slime, and bubble algae. I also recently added 3 emerald crabs and two red legs to the refugium. I have also added a tuxedo urchin and a pencil urchin a while back. Been battling algae for about 4 months now. I am tired of it.
So I will need some opionions and guidance, below you can see my clean up crew for dt tank and filtration. If you need more info just ask.

Dt clean up crew

1 giant turbo snail
2 smaller turbo snails
1 giant top crown snail
20+ astrea snails
4 cerith snails
1 lawnmower blenny
1 1in tuxedo urchin
1 pencil urchin
1 super small red leg hermit crab
1 large blue leg hermit crab

also when the pencil urchin grows to full size should I re home it to another reefer

Thanks for the help
Just to clarify...you have a relatively new aquarium with hair algae, bubble algae and possibly cyanobacteria issues. Your plan is to use bottled bacteria, and increased concentration of magnesium to eliminate these nuisance organisms. I am no sure about the purpose.of disassembling the skimmer.

Did I understand your post?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Magnesium is not likely to help with algae, and what level do you think it is?

Magnesium below 1200 ppm is typically either test error or low salinity.

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is to help stony corals utilize calcium for skeletal growth and to prevent excessive precipitation of calcium and bicarbonate.

You should find out your basic parameters and try to keep them stable by testing with a kit that will show what your magnesium, alkalinity and calcium levels are.

You can then adjust your levels to where they should be by dosing additives.

That’s what I use for testing/dosing..easy to read and follow instructions.

Do you know what your salinity is?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back