Bacteria temperature range

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For beneficial bacteria to reefs, what is the temperature range? If one were to ghost feed + dose ZEOvit System, an enormous bucket of circulated rocks with a temperature range of 8 C to 22 C for say, 3 years, would you have the right colonies for an insta-tank good for even SPS?

I'm looking for deep, justified answers, on what kinds of bacteria we might find in those situations. Aiptasia seem to be doing fine, for what's observable without aid.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For beneficial bacteria to reefs, what is the temperature range? If one were to ghost feed + dose ZEOvit System, an enormous bucket of circulated rocks with a temperature range of 8 C to 22 C for say, 3 years, would you have the right colonies for an insta-tank good for even SPS?

I'm looking for deep, justified answers, on what kinds of bacteria we might find in those situations. Aiptasia seem to be doing fine, for what's observable without aid.
The term “beneficial bacteria” is a fairly meaningless term. After three years the bucket bacteria population might look more like a sewage processing plant than a reef. These rocks very likely can still convert ammonia to nitrate, but unless you get them tested by AquaBiomics, no one can answer your question.

What you might find is someone who did the same thing that you did for a shorter time and then set up an aquarium With the rocks.

OP
OP
DiZASTiX

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you've misconstrued the request. The purpose of this inquiry is to assess if any individuals have previously performed similar experiments, or are aware of scientific literature that escaped review. This would help shape a scientific inquiry with scope beyond only reefing. The implication would be that the presentented challenges are already understood, hence a solicitation for "deep, justified" answers, in the hope to probe for the right starting points.

The term “beneficial bacteria” is a fairly meaningless term. After three years the bucket bacteria population might look more like a sewage processing plant than a reef. These rocks very likely can still convert ammonia to nitrate, but unless you get them tested by AquaBiomics, no one can answer your question.

What you might find is someone who did the same thing that you did for a shorter time and then set up an aquarium With the rocks.

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you've misconstrued the request. The purpose of this inquiry is to assess if any individuals have previously performed similar experiments, or are aware of scientific literature that escaped review. This would help shape a scientific inquiry with scope beyond only reefing. The implication would be that the presentented challenges are already understood, hence a solicitation for "deep, justified" answers, in the hope to probe for the right starting points.

You are adding bacteria using zeovit and you want to know what bacterial population may be present ? I dont think we know what bacterial strains you are adding via the zeovit. Because zeovit dont tell you whats in it. So like Dan said in his post earlier unless you do a test with aquabiomics you will not be able to tell.

But lots of folks have cured rocks in tubs before using them, so thats definitely a good idea.

OP
OP
DiZASTiX

DiZASTiX

Spikeasaurus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are adding bacteria using zeovit and you want to know what bacterial population may be present ? I dont think we know what bacterial strains you are adding via the zeovit. Because zeovit dont tell you whats in it. So like Dan said in his post earlier unless you do a test with aquabiomics you will not be able to tell.

But lots of folks have cured rocks in tubs before using them, so thats definitely a good idea.
I understood that; I'm looking for someone who already has a good guess—-experiences are fine: is it better? Is it worse than conventional methods? We're not looking for the specific types of bacteria, though I'm curious as to the kinds of interactions experienced by reefers. We have a lab, but I wanted to get pulse on sentiment, before we construct a more rigorous inquiry. But it would be curious to find out what differences temperature fluctuations make for curing rocks in tubs, in terms of later stability experienced by the aquarist—as you put it, because that's effectively what it is.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I understand. A clearer description of what you are interested in would be helpful. Also, clarifying what you already know would help focus the responses. Short breezy questions are often difficult to decipher.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back