Bacterial bloom? Do I need to be worried?

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, my tanks is about 7 weeks old and it looks like I’m getting some haze in the tank (what I’m assuming is a bacterial bloom) I’ve probably over fed the tank a bit over the course of a few weeks. I’ve cut back on feeding but this is now showing up. Is it something I need to be concerned with? Do I need to do a water change?
320C61F1-54BD-4FC9-BEDD-3575D2C5A84D.jpeg

Hard to see haziness levels but it is.

Also one of my banded Trochus snails died the day after I got him, I left him in the tank to see if the cleanup crew would eat him, but I think that was the wrong decision and he’s since removed. I have two other Trochus that are doing fine (have been in there for about a week) but one of them was on his back in the sand bed today. I put him back on the rocks and he’s crawling around now but I wonder if it’s related.

Any help would be awesome.

PH is 8
Nitrate is 5
Nitrite and ammonia are 0

Magnesium was 1305 the last time I checked last week but I’ll probably check that again.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterchange won't hurt.
If it is a bacterial bloom, a UV sterilizer will help. You'll also want to add an airstone as O2 levels can drop during a bloom.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As T-J said. If you have skimmer, you probably don’t need airstone. If you have UV, use it, otherwise you may just wait it out.
Water changes won’t hurt, but probably won’t help substantially either, as heterotrophic bacteria are multiplying too fast to get rid of them with water changes only.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As T-J said. If you have skimmer, you probably don’t need airstone. If you have UV, use it, otherwise you may just wait it out.
Water changes won’t hurt, but probably won’t help substantially either, as heterotrophic bacteria are multiplying too fast to get rid of them with water changes only.
I don’t have a skimmer only a HOB filter, going to pick up a cheap uv filter today and do a water change.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back