Bacterial bloom just killed all my fish

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No thank's needed...good luck, keep us posted... :)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap, I do not have access to rodi water. What is prime? I might have it but forget what it is.

Yiu can buy gallons of distilled water at Walmart and those are just as good as RODI IMO. I used them on a nano for years before I bought my own RODI.

Purchasing a small UV like green machine will help or clear the bloom.

However I would stop using tap as this may be part of the cause.

How old is the tank? Was it cycled?

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know where I can get an air stone?
You can buy everything you need at a plethora of online salt water suppliers. Somethings you can get from Chewy, such as salt, in a single day

Before you shut your tank up didn’t you know you would need

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it states in the title. There is an ongoing bacterial bloom in my tank and I have no way to fix it. All my fish have died and one is missing. I lost both domino damsels (I was very attached to the male, he was also the first one to die) a six line wrasse, an Ocellaris clown, and two tomato clowns. There is a neon dottyback in the tank that is more than likely dead. I can not find him. I believe he is in a rock so I took the rock I think he is in and put it in a bucket. From the fish I mentioned earlier, two are still alive but will be dead soon. My female tomato and my female Ocellaris are still breathing. They are dying though, so I’m ready to lose them, I’ve shed many tears and will probably cry some more later. My Haitian anemone looks upset and I don’t know if my urchins, crabs, or snails will make it. I would stay up longer to try and fix this, but it’s already 1:10 am as I post this and I don’t know how to fix it.
I am not well-versed on bacteria blooms. But helpful information can be found here and certainly online. When you give a description of what you see.

I feel bad for you because there’s nothing worse than watching everything fall apart and you feel helpless.

Just give as much optical information as possible in your descriptions. Many people here that know it, seen it and done it

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yiu can buy gallons of distilled water at Walmart and those are just as good as RODI IMO. I used them on a nano for years before I bought my own RODI.

I have been using Walmart distilled water since I set up my reef nine months ago.You’re right, that water is fine

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

You can buy everything you need at a plethora of online salt water suppliers. Somethings you can get from Chewy, such as salt, in a single day

Before you shut your tank up didn’t you know you would need
OP was stressed enough, needed to act fast,not to confuse ,figured to explain water issues ,"later today" it was 3 am..
plan was to save fish first.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallon. I don’t have ammonia test strips/kit. No air stone either. All I have close by is petco and petsmart. Neither of which have “advanced” fish tank anything. The petco is the one we go to all the time, and the only saltwater tests they have are the little test strips.
Petsmart and Petco should have air stones and even test strips. If they don’t, you can order cheap test strips from chewie.com. It will be delivered tomorrow. Everything I ordered from them one day delivery..I ordered an air disc from Chewy. It produces much more bubbles. It’s in my sump. Don’t put an air stone or disc in the same chamber as your return pump tho

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP was stressed enough, needed to act fast,not to confuse ,figured to explain water issues ,"later today" it was 3 am..
First, you should get a clean container and make up a new batch of salt water. Put the fish in. That will buy you some time

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don’t think it was confusing. This is how he can plan for the morning which isn’t so far away.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cannot get distilled water to make up a new batch of salt water, you can use tap. Go and Petsmart sell a bottle called Prime. Do not overuse. That will break down all the chemicals in your tapwater. Then you can add salt

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is the tap could be housing extra organics that may have contributed to the bloom. Prime will not solve that. Some groceries sell RO too in jugs you fill yourself as well as distilled. You are just looking for kinds that don’t have minerals added back.

Sometimes water changes never help a bloom though but UVs almost always do at least.

Sorry for your loss of fish.

Last edited:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First, you should get a clean container and make up a new batch of salt water. Put the fish in. That will buy you some time
maybe,maybe not,shock... ;)

Don’t think it was confusing. This is how he can plan for the morning which isn’t so far away.

agree ,but not in the moment.

lets agree to not clog up this thread as a debate..

tip, distilled, 0 dkh drinking 7 dkh artesian 10+ dkh in bottled water.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t contradict what has already been said/done. Only added good info to the discussion as this is as forum and that is what it is for.

Debating about is is clogging though. :p

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walmart has them too if you lucky enough to have a 24 hour one. I know that’s not as realistic in the pandemic.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back