Bacterial infection causing bleaching?

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to figure out for a while what has been bothering my mushrooms and I have finally managed to keep nitrates on 5ppm; however, they're bleaching now. Today I came across information that "Shrooms bleaching is typically caused by bacteria infection. It usually happens when introducing large amounts of new euphyllias or LPS corals to your tank". Coincidentally I have bought a hammer coral that I added into the tank when my mushrooms were looking very good. Looking on my old pictures I think that the mushrooms shrinking and now bleaching may have to do something with the new LPS. Is that possible? Anyone ever experienced it? Is there any way to save mushrooms or I can't help them anymore?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to figure out for a while what has been bothering my mushrooms and I have finally managed to keep nitrates on 5ppm; however, they're bleaching now. Today I came across information that "Shrooms bleaching is typically caused by bacteria infection. It usually happens when introducing large amounts of new euphyllias or LPS corals to your tank". Coincidentally I have bought a hammer coral that I added into the tank when my mushrooms were looking very good. Looking on my old pictures I think that the mushrooms shrinking and now bleaching may have to do something with the new LPS. Is that possible? Anyone ever experienced it? Is there any way to save mushrooms or I can't help them anymore?
Are you running GAC?
Throw some in if you haven't and see if that helps.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running GAC?
Throw some in if you haven't and see if that helps.
I am running Rowa phos crystal premium carbon. I have around 10g in my 13.5g tank - should I add more for treatment? Initially I though that overdosing Red Sea AB+ cause mushrooms to shrink and look bad, but now I can see that exactly the same time I've added LPS. I have stopped dosing for a very long time and did WC, but no improvement. Shrooms are still continuously bleaching

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running Rowa phos crystal premium carbon. I have around 10g in my 13.5g tank - should I add more for treatment? Initially I though that overdosing Red Sea AB+ cause mushrooms to shrink and look bad, but now I can see that exactly the same time I've added LPS. I have stopped dosing for a very long time and did WC, but no improvement. Shrooms are still continuously bleaching
No, that should be fine. I was worried about coral fighting but your GAC would have taken care of it.

Let's let others answer. Best of luck to you.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that should be fine. I was worried about coral fighting but your GAC would have taken care of it.

Let's let others answer. Best of luck to you.
Thanks! I was certainly sure that overdosing of RS AB+ was the issue. Now I'm wondering whether I should twice a week target feed the mushrooms only with a minimum amount of the AB+? After addressing all the possible options, seems that hammer introduction might be relayed to worse mushrooms health. My red discosoma shroom was gigantic and today is very small loosing vibrant colours.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the hammer making contact with these mushrooms? That could be a problem.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the hammer making contact with these mushrooms? That could be a problem.
It is not. They're all relatively far from each others. Since I got the hammer from 1 head it got 3. But the mushrooms are looking very bad. They're shrinking more and more and blue discosoma are bleaching more and more (attached photo)

Attachments

• 20240524_163943.jpg
    20240524_163943.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 10
OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For comparison photo of mushrooms week before I added hammer coral (and started dosing Red Sea AB+, which I was initially blaming).

Attachments

• 20240219_094941.jpg
    20240219_094941.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 14

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back