Bad Alk Reagent or checker??

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the Hanna HI755 Alkalinity checker with reagent due to expire on 06/21. I've tried testing twice on three different days this last week and get 33 or 34 ppm which is under 2.0 dKh. Can Alk even be that low or do I have a bad checker or reagent? When I tested say last month or before that it read between 7 & 8 dKh. Also, this was a used checker that I purchased.

Thoughts??

As a side note....I ordered a new HI772 that is due in on Saturday but I'd like to figure this out just because.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no great ideas, but I'd try it again on some new salt water, and reread the directions and steps.

Several times over the years I thought I remembered exactly how to do a test, and wasn't doing it exactly right when I realized I was getting nonsense readings.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn't put it in the first post but i did try new saltwater and used a video from Hanna (i believe) just to make sure i wasn't messing up. it read 34 ppm. I'm fairly certain it's the tester so i ordered a 772 but it was just very odd.

Thanks!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back