Bad Experience with GHL Doser 2.1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Matthias Gross for that virtual tour of the GHL factory! Quite the sleek operation you got going on there! I’m actually more interested in GHL products after reading this thread, blessing in disguise.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could care less about the feelings of random people. The intent here is exposure.

If your intent is exposure then that points out that you do indeed care what the feelings of random people are. As you are directly trying to change them negatively towards GHL. All your intent to expose has done is negatively impact others opinions of you. IMO GHL has done exactly what I would expect them to do and even a little more. If you don't feel like unscrewing a few screws and checking a plug then take them up on the return and purchase another product. Seriously doubt you'll get the same quality customer service from most other doser manufacturers out there though. Not every product is 100% perfect and there will be odd issues here and there, what matters is how a company handles a problem and I feel GHL has hit the mark here and your unwillingness to accept there resolutions to the issue really doesn't paint a good picture.

BTW I'm not trying to push down your issue, it's clearly a problem and does need to be solved. But the resolution has been provided in numerous ways and in ways that would more than satisfy 99.99% of customers, and I might add, in a timely and efficient manner.

It's definately not a common issue (First I've ever heard of it). And atleast you have brought it to GHLs attention they might look into adjusting some mounting methods in the future. I do hope that your issue does get resolved to your satisfaction and your opinion of GHL changes, they really are a top notch company that stands behind there products.

Last edited:

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could care less about the feelings of random people. The intent here is exposure.
This message you sent to GHL seams to indicate otherwise.....

upload_2019-1-26_15-35-9.png

OP
OP
S

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand why a customer doesn't want to open a brand new unit. (fear to damage something else or not just not being confident to do it)...This is perfectly understandable.
What I do not really understand, is that you told GHL that you didn't wanted to open the unit and you wanted them to fix the issue and that you didn't had problems with the downtime.
Then just after sending the unit you ask for a refund o_O...Supposedly because you don't trust anymore on the unit due a led not turning on ?

To answer your question "What kind of connector came loose during transport?"

I purchased 2 brand new MP40QD , one of them came with Wifi not working.
I logged a ticket to Ecotech and same as GHL they asked me to open the controller and check the Wifi chipset. what I have done and it comes that the chipset was loose, I just pushed it back in and the Wifi was working.
Another one with Calfeeder of Pacific Sun reactor with a loose screw inside of the controller. Connector can come loose during transport YES.

I faced some issue with GHL products and both Matthias G/F were all time there for me and standing behind their products with great customer care.

This is a good post.

I don't have any problem opening the unit. I just don't feel that I have to spend $460 on something and taking a screwdriver to it as soon as I received it.

If the electrical connector did come loose, they should design it like a SATA connector. Unless someone disengage the lock or brute force it, no (reasonable amount) vibration or knocking could make it come loose. Are my standards too high?

I asked for a refund because it was bothering me that this unit is going to dose my $6,000 tank. Yes, I told them one thing and then ask for another. I changed my mind, my fault.

OP
OP
S

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This message you sent to GHL seams to indicate otherwise.....

upload_2019-1-26_15-35-9.png

Posted in haste. Words weren't picked carefully.

Ultimately I don't care what other people think. I am uncooperative, asked for one thing then changed my mind. If I cared, I wouldn't post this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intent here is to give potential buyer a glimpse of what will happen when this happened to them. If after reading my OP and you think I'm unreasonable and GHL customer service are great. Good.

I wish someone have posted something like this and I had come across it before buying.

OP
OP
S

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way GHL has responded to this is totally acceptable. The feelings of the R2R community thus far have been the opposite of the OP was expecting to get....

You're wrong, it is almost exactly as I expected.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intent here is to give potential buyer a glimpse of what will happen when this happened to them. If after reading my OP and you think I'm unreasonable and GHL customer service are great. Good.

I wish someone have posted something like this and I had come across it before buying.

If a small issue like this would have prevented you from buying the doser, I'm not exactly sure how you have an aquarium atall, what type of aquarium equipment do you currently own? There is no equipment in existence in this hobby that hasn't had atleast one post of someone having an issue. Take a look at the Apex 2016, widely regarded as one of the best controllers out there, when it was first released had MASSIVE issues. Cobalt Neotherm heaters, amazing heaters and ones I would recommend time and time again, there 300w heaters blew up in numerous tanks nuking everything in them. Neptune DOS reservoirs, recommended by many and still have optical sensor issues. Innovative Marine Fusion 30L tanks had issues with bowing glass. Sicce SDC pumps had connectivity issues and still do on occasion. Ecotech Marine Vectra pumps had a slew of problems and occasionally you still see posts about them. The list goes on and on and on and on. Virtually impossible to set up an aquarium these days with products that have an impeccable reputation, because they don't exist. It's unfortunate that something like this has completely turned you off to such a great product but to each there own. And FWIW GHL did start the refund process through MD even though this is directly against there policies. It's not unreasonable to expect a product you spend so much of your hard earned money on to work out of the box, but at the same time, I feel it's a little unreasonable to expect every single item a company produces to be flawless. You've been unfortunate to have caught the lemon but this is why customer service departments exist and why EVERY company has one.

And I personally don't see an issue with you changing your mind on what you wanted to do after you sent it out. You've given it some thought and you feel you can't trust that unit anymore and theres nothing wrong with that. We need to have a lot of trust with these kinds of units and I wouldn't keep or own something I don't trust. I recently ordered a custom laptop and have called and cancelled then reordered twice now, willing to bet there customer service department isn't a fan of me lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just curious- you feel wronged because they won’t let you keep the doser AND get a refund?

No. If you read my ticket, I initially asked for a new unit. Then changed my mind to send them it to them for repair. Then It was bothering me knowing that this unit (tarnished in my mind) was going to dose my $6,000 Acro collector tank so I asked for a refund. The unit is being deliver by UPS to them currently.

Changed my mind back and forth? Yes. My fault.

Asking for a refund and keep the unit? LOL no.

OP
OP
S

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just curious- you feel wronged because they won’t let you keep the doser AND get a refund?

I answered your question in post #30. In return, can you answer one of mine? I'm curious like you are.

Why did you make false assumptions about me and attack me in post #16?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Friends let’s remember that we are a friendly community and debate is fine until it gets personal and angry. If it’s a hot topic for some and it’s hard not to get angry then please consider just backing out of the conversation.

Thank you.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s be honest, if you bought a brand new iPhone and it didn’t work and Apple told you to send it over and wait for x days you’d be up in arms. In fact, most folks would be mad if it was a $10 tea kettle and say amazon didn’t want to accept it back...

Nobody/nothing is perfect but it’s about knowing how problems are resolved that matters even more IMO. In this case we have learned that apparently there’s no refund for brand new units even when malfunctioning. For me that’s an important factor. For someone else, as mentioned above, it may not be. Nevertheless, we’re better off being a bit more informed.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody/nothing is perfect but it’s about knowing how problems are resolved that matters even more IMO. In this case we have learned that apparently there’s no refund for brand new units even when malfunctioning. For me that’s an important factor. For someone else, as mentioned above, it may not be. Nevertheless, we’re better off being a bit more informed.

I'm not sure why you think there's no refund? The OP is getting refunded in full. Origionally the plan was to have it shipped back and repaired and the OP changed his mind and wanted a refund after he had shipped it back to GHL, no big deal. Any other manufacturer wouldn't refund your purchase without the product back in there hands. The issue with the refund is because he purchased it through a retailer and not direct from GHL the retailer is supposed to accept the return and refund the purchase not GHL directly. Because it has already been shipped back to GHL that's not possible and therefor complicates things a bit.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s be honest, if you bought a brand new iPhone and it didn’t work and Apple told you to send it over and wait for x days you’d be up in arms. In fact, most folks would be mad if it was a $10 tea kettle and say amazon didn’t want to accept it back...

Perhaps you aren’t understanding- GHL offered a refund or repair. There is no possible alternative to those, besides the OP keeping the unit AND the refund ;)

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like a big fuss about nothing. It seems GHL have been as helpful as possible and it wasn’t even a direct purchase.

Perhaps the OP thought that threatening to go public would strengthen his hand but that seems to have backfired.

I don’t get why the OP keeps mentioning a “$6,000 tank”. Is that a lot?

This thread isn’t really what I’m used to seeing on Reef2Reef and I truly don’t see what the problem is.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s be honest, if you bought a brand new iPhone and it didn’t work and Apple told you to send it over and wait for x days you’d be up in arms. In fact, most folks would be mad if it was a $10 tea kettle and say amazon didn’t want to accept it back....
But it appears that's how Apple does work.

upload_2019-1-26_21-59-1.png

OP
OP
S

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why you think there's no refund? The OP is getting refunded in full. Origionally the plan was to have it shipped back and repaired and the OP changed his mind and wanted a refund after he had shipped it back to GHL, no big deal. Any other manufacturer wouldn't refund your purchase without the product back in there hands. The issue with the refund is because he purchased it through a retailer and not direct from GHL the retailer is supposed to accept the return and refund the purchase not GHL directly. Because it has already been shipped back to GHL that's not possible and therefor complicates things a bit.

I'll be getting a refund only if there's no water has been run through the unit. Basically, that's a no. Vinny saw the tubes connected to pump 1 & 2 in the photo and use it as an excuse. Correct my if I'm wrong but that's how I'm interpreting what he said.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be getting a refund only if there's no water has been run through the unit. Basically, that's a no. Vinny saw the tubes connected to pump 1 & 2 in the photo and use it as an excuse. Correct my if I'm wrong but that's how I'm interpreting what he said.

Hummm, I can't speak for Vinny but tubes connected to a pump doesn't necessarily mean liquid has been run through it, just means it was plumbed up and ready to be set up. Atleast to me that's what it means, honestly the only way to know about the defective LED is to run the pump so it's not really an issue you would notice pre-setup regardless. I honestly don't see them not refunding it, it would be pretty silly not to. But if you talk to MD I'm sure they would refund you regardless of what GHL does.

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read through this entire thread and it seems to me like GHL has provided the best customer service they possibly could in this case. I have purchased equipment from many high end manufacturers such as EcoTech, Neptune, GHL, Kessil, ATI, etc. Small issues like this are relatively common across all, even high end, manufacturers. I appreciate the ability to troubleshoot small issues at home versus wasting time sending equipment off. GHL and Vinny have provided me with excellent service and support. I use their dosing pumps and KHD to manage my 450g collector SPS tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back