Bad Experience with GHL Doser 2.1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to share my experience with the 2.1 Standalone doser. Right out of the box the unit I received have a dead pump status light. The giuy I talked to, Vinny told me to open up the unit and swith some connector around to test the LED for him. I refuse because I don't feel that dropping $460 on an item and having to open it up when I received it. I'm at the point where I am trying to get a refund from them. I can't trust this unit anymore to take care of my $6,000 acro tank.

ghl1.jpg

ghl2.jpg

IMG_1823.JPG

Last edited:

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for sharing experiences with GHL respective the service.

I think it might be useful to give the interested reader a summary:

1. Doser is produced. As all products they are tested 100% in our facility. There is NO way that a product leaves the house when one test criteria is not OK, the production software will just not allow this.
2. Doser was tested successfully, after that the sticker is placed and the responsible person writes his initials on it.
3. Doser is packed and shipped.
4. Doser goes from Germany to wholesaler (here GHL USA).
5. Doser goes to dealer (here MD).
6. Doser is shipped to end customer (maybe 5. is skipped when drop shipped)
7. Customer unpacks doser, connects it and finds a problem: One doser head is not illuminated.
Possible reasons: During transport maybe the LED moved a bit back into the housing OR an internal LED plug became lose.
8. ALARM: Problem! Customer contacts GHL (not the dealer) for support
9. GHL support team (here Vinny) tries to solve this issue as fast and efficient as possible: Ask the customer kindly if he wants to open the top Doser cover in order to check if maybe the LED is not in place anymore or the corresponding connector became lose, this would have fixed it in 3 minutes, no downtime.
10. Customer doesn't want to do this
11. GHL offers a refund or a replacement/repair. Since the Doser has not been bought from GHL this must handled through the dealer, of course. A replacement and refund is only possible, when the Doser has not been used yet, in this case only a "repair" (moving the LED or in the worst case plug in the connector again) is possible.
12. Customer obviously doesn't like this and writes about his "bad experience with GHL Doser" in public forums and writes "I am curious how the CC company will respond..."

Bottomline:
1. We usually don't handle support/warranty/repair cases in the public, but I felt that this should not be uncommented.
2. Our offer is still valid: Refund/repair/replacement, depending on the conditions explained above.
3. Threatening is not helpful. This will not change how cases are handled.

PS:
We still have no idea what intension the customer has. A refund/credit card payment cancellation AND keeping the Doser? A refund without giving the dealer and/or GHL a chance to check and verify? We have no idea.
He got offered all available options.

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the possible reasons when a Doser 2.1 pump head is not illuminated? LED moved during transport a connector became lose during transport. Not very likely, but also not impossible.
To save time (reduce downtime) we asked the customer kindly, to do this:
1. open Doser
2. check if LED and connector in place
DoserInternal1.PNG

DoserInternal2.PNG

As explained above - the customer has the choice: Check by himself, repair, if possible (device unused and dealer agrees) refund.

We have to discuss now internally, if we stop offering a "self-repair" when we have a case like this and if all cases handled strictly according to the book: Sending in (if needed through dealer), checking, fixing, sending back.
On the one hand most customers appreciate when they have a quick solution without any downtime when simple "repairs" can be made by them,
but on the other hand there are customers getting this opportunity wrong, as a result we can read about these cases in public forums, even with quoting (screenshots) our support team.

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take this opportunity to give you some insights about our production.
All the developing, assembling and testing is made in-house (GHL Germany, Kaiserslautern).
Even the PCBs are soldered in our facility, the mechanical parts are produced on our CNC machines.

Here a few pics.

Producing KH Directors and Dosers
25587742_714950902032110_7471266364303421396_o.jpg

packing
26023871_714950838698783_6922578055597748866_o.jpg

end test of boards
IMG_2564.JPG

cutting aluminum:
IMG_1546.JPG

Software-guided hardware check:
IMG_1574.JPG

this was when we were installing our PCB soldering production line:
20141217_152154.jpg

one of our CNC machines:
CNC.PNG

26023871_714950838698783_6922578055597748866_o.jpg

Last edited:

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand why a customer does not want to open a unit, but I also wouldn't expect the refund until vendor had part in hand. I have had better luck when issues occurred just dealing MD, they are great to work with

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand why a customer does not want to open a unit, but I also wouldn't expect the refund until vendor had part in hand. I have had better luck when issues occurred just dealing MD, they are great to work with
Agree, but GHL is very responsive.

GHL products are pretty much intended to be opened up by the user, as to add extra components I/E: expansion cards etc.

It's also a plus for the user as we can diagnose problems right away, without sending products on a round trip vacation to FL or Germany, - to keep equipment functioning, as material things sometimes don't work as intended.

I will say, I have experienced nothing but satisfaction from GHL customer service and products and will not sway away from their business.

As any good business, they do their homework prior to addressing claims, as they should. They will find a solution.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please, do not change your policy because of one user. But maybe ask the user first would you like to take an opportunity to possibly repair this issue yourself. It will require you to take the cover off, or we can ship a return label so that our repair department can repair the unit, please let us know.

Having the ability offered to us has also allowed users here to help others by answering questions based on us fixing the issue ourselves through the support team educating us how to do it ourselves.

I understand the user frustrations getting a new unit and something not working, you offered all possible solutions to them they are not happy and want a refund.

But MD policy on returns is very well documented also:

Returned items must be sent back to us in new and unused condition in the original packaging along with all accessories, warranty cards, manuals, software, cables, etc.

We are unable to accept returns of Digital Aquatics, Neptune Systems, Vertex Aquaristik, Aqua Illumination (AI), EcoTech Marine, GHL or Seneye products once the manufacturer’s packaging seals have been broken.

My expierences from both GHL and MD for support and issues like this have always been great, both companies go out of there way to try to correct the issue.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how I feel about this, GHL took all the proper steps to resolve the issue. Initially through their ticket system and now on a public forum.

I for one appreciate having the ability to try and diagnose/resolve an issue myself without having to send the piece of equipment out. Some may not, in which case the product can be sent back to GHL for repair. Like was offered here.

I have had nothing but great interaction with GHL customer service. I was impressed with the level of detail they took and provided me for an issue that I had.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"What are the possible reasons when a Doser 2.1 pump head is not illuminated? LED moved during transport a connector became lose during transport".

What kind of connector came loose during transport? If this is the case, why isn't this a factor when designing a product that need to move across the continents?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opps Posted before finishing :(

If your going to quote someone finish the quote. He said other possible ways it could. Not very likely, but also not impossible.

The idea was they wanted to determine the cause and wanted to see if you were willing to open it up to determine the issue. You did not want to, so they provided a return label so they could go about fixing it.

We can all agree that we have all received something from a retailer that was broken, it went to a QC. It happens..

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"What are the possible reasons when a Doser 2.1 pump head is not illuminated? LED moved during transport a connector became lose during transport".

What kind of connector came loose during transport? If this is the case, why isn't this a factor when designing a product that need to move across the continents?
That's a rather silly comment. All sorts of things can happen with any product and the important thing is how they are dealt with.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like GHL went above and beyond, with excellent customer service. Given the customer refuses to do a basic diagnostic step OR allow it to be sent back using the provided label, my guess is the customer is trying to scam for a refund while keeping the product.

@skysoblue987 , am I right? :)

OP
OP
S

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could care less about the feelings of random people. The intent here is exposure.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could care less about the feelings of random people. The intent here is exposure.

Their exposure thus far is that they are an excellent company, more than happy to help you. Meanwhile, you refuse to cooperate LOL. You're more exposing yourself than the company...

At this point, I am wondering if you even intentionally unplugged the Doser LED to try to get a refund.

This is remarkably similar to what you did here- complaining about a non-existent issue. You bought a non-wysiwyg frag, they sent you an even larger frag than was pictured in the auction, and you complain about it (surely trying to get a refund).

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/received-wrong-frag-from-wwc-again.384438/

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their exposure thus far is that they are an excellent company, more than happy to help you. Meanwhile, you refuse to cooperate LOL. You're more exposing yourself than the company...

Similar to what you did here- complaining about a non-existent issue. You bought a non-wysiwyg frag, they sent you an even larger frag than was pictured in the auction, and you complain about it (surely trying to get a refund). You say you wont purchase from them again, yet a few threads later you are showing your new WWC additions. Cmon man. At this point, I am wondering if you even intentionally unplugged the Doser LED to try to get a refund.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/received-wrong-frag-from-wwc-again.384438/

What new additions? Can you link real quick? I never did ask for a refund.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great attitude you have. Why even come to a Forum it you care less about others opinions.
All I see is someone who wants what they want. Trying to beat a company over the head with a forum post that they are really don't care about others on the forum.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand why a customer doesn't want to open a brand new unit. (fear to damage something else or not just not being confident to do it)...This is perfectly understandable.
What I do not really understand, is that you told GHL that you didn't wanted to open the unit and you wanted them to fix the issue and that you didn't had problems with the downtime.
Then just after sending the unit you ask for a refund o_O...Supposedly because you don't trust anymore on the unit due a led not turning on ?

To answer your question "What kind of connector came loose during transport?"

I purchased 2 brand new MP40QD , one of them came with Wifi not working.
I logged a ticket to Ecotech and same as GHL they asked me to open the controller and check the Wifi chipset. what I have done and it comes that the chipset was loose, I just pushed it back in and the Wifi was working.
Another one with Calfeeder of Pacific Sun reactor with a loose screw inside of the controller. Connector can come loose during transport YES.

I faced some issue with GHL products and both Matthias G/F were all time there for me and standing behind their products with great customer care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back