Bad experience with pacific east aquaculture seahorses. Looking for good vendor?

dcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I just want to know what the best online place is to buy seahorses.
I've bought seahorses at pacific east aquaculture in two occasions and both have been bad experiences. Last one, they packed two seahorses in a single bag, one arrived death and the other one died past few hours.

Another couple form liveaquaria is doing great, so the tank is OK. Also clams and mandarins in my tank are healthy.
I just dont want them all from the same vendor in order to have more genetic variability in the offspring.

Good vendors anyone?
Thanks

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that it is wise to get them from the same source so they are not exposed to new pathogens. Having said that, I will confess that I have bought seahorses from Ocean Rider and Seahorse Source. All the seahorses I bought came well packaged and arrived in excellant condition. I would recommend both.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you will find 90% of SH keeps here get there stock form either of the places vlangel said.
I have talked to Dan at seahorse source a few time via email over the years and he has been great and I have not even bought anything..yet

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that Ocean Rider, Seahorse Source, and Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy are the most reputable. Dan @ Seahorse Source is very knowledgeable. I haven't bought seahorses from him yet but have talked with him on the phone. I will order from him next.
Did you say you have clams in your seahorse tank? All of my research says they are dangerous for seahorses. If they hitch, clams can close on their tail and injure them. Not sure if you are aware of that.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that Ocean Rider, Seahorse Source, and Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy are the most reputable. Dan @ Seahorse Source is very knowledgeable. I haven't bought seahorses from him yet but have talked with him on the phone. I will order from him next.
Did you say you have clams in your seahorse tank? All of my research says they are dangerous for seahorses. If they hitch, clams can close on their tail and injure them. Not sure if you are aware of that.
Yes, that is very true about clams and seahorses. It is actually dangerous for both organism. If a clam closes on a seahorse tail both animals are likely to die. I was heartbroken when I learned that because I had a 3 year old blue crocea that I loved and had to rehome when I converted my tank for seahorses.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back