Bad Hanna Calcium checker?

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering getting that Hanna calcium checker, but your post has me questioning that idea. I did notice that Hanna sells a calibration kit. So if I get this checker, I'm also ordering this kit. But I thought I would mention it to you, because you could verify the calibration of your tester if you had this calibration kit. Might be worth it so you know if your tester is functioning or not.
The kit Hanna sells is not a “calibration kit”. It is a standard used to check that the Ca. checker is within limits. if it’s not I assume you have to return it to Hanna to be calibrated as there is no way to calibrate the checker yourself. It may also just be a throw away, there may be no way to actual
ply calibrate it. I don’t know.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of the Hanna calcium checker as fast as I bought it. I wasnt able to get consistent results from the Red Sea Pro kit's droppers (I have shaky hands). I like the Salifert kit but have had really good results with the Aqua Forest kit as of late too. For either of those (Salifert and Aqua Forest).

My kits of choice after trying just about everything under the sun over the years:

Alkalinity - Hanna (too easy)
Calcium - Aqua Forest (followed closely by Salifert)
Magnesium - Red Sea Pro
Phosphate - Hanna (about the only hobby grade kit good for a home reef)
Nitrate - Salifert

These have provided me the most repeatable results with the least amount of headaches.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the Red Sea Pro and the Hanna. The Hanna was too frustrating until I found by using the syringe for the Hanna Alk meter I was able to dose the .1 sample of saltwater easier than trying to use the green one that came with the CA kit. My first comparison Of the two: Hanna 411, Red Sea 420.
They make a device that automatically sends 0.1ml. BRS sells it for $18. I cant recall the name of the device. Just Google hanna and you will find it. It's a khaki looking syringe.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have to admit. I like it. And I think my result is believable. I did buy the calibration checker. As was pointed out, it is not a calibration kit. You can only verify if the device is working. There doesn’t seem to be any way for the user to calibrate it. But in the case of the OP, it would verify whether his unit is working correctly or not.

@Mikeltee, I checked BRS’s website, and the pipette you talk about is the same one included with the calcium kit. You can see the tan syringe on the bottom left of this kit. Unless earlier kits did not include this pipette...

But 417 seems completely believable to me, given the acro growth I have seen. I’m just realizing that after 20 years of guessing, it would be nice to actually know what the numbers are in my reef. Hanna and BRS will be the main benefactors of my newfound curiosity. I am using my 5 stage RO/DI water and it seems to give reasonable results. This is about what I expected to see.
CE0A9E5F-0FD5-45C0-BDB1-057D79AA6FE4.jpeg

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, I have to admit. I like it. And I think my result is believable. I did buy the calibration checker. As was pointed out, it is not a calibration kit. You can only verify if the device is working. There doesn’t seem to be any way for the user to calibrate it. But in the case of the OP, it would verify whether his unit is working correctly or not.

@Mikeltee, I checked BRS’s website, and the pipette you talk about is the same one included with the calcium kit. You can see the tan syringe on the bottom left of this kit. Unless earlier kits did not include this pipette...

But 417 seems completely believable to me, given the acro growth I have seen. I’m just realizing that after 20 years of guessing, it would be nice to actually know what the numbers are in my reef. Hanna and BRS will be the main benefactors of my newfound curiosity. I am using my 5 stage RO/DI water and it seems to give reasonable results. This is about what I expected to see.
CE0A9E5F-0FD5-45C0-BDB1-057D79AA6FE4.jpeg
Oh sweet I'm glad its included. Is it not accurate? I plan to tune my carx and get my numbers in line according to my tests. Once I feel confident in my testing protocol and see consistency, I will then send off to triton, something you couldnt have done 20 years ago. For $50 you too can see how close your numbers have been for the past couple decades and then use that as an offset if you are unhappy with your results.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make a device that automatically sends 0.1ml. BRS sells it for $18. I cant recall the name of the device. Just Google hanna and you will find it. It's a khaki looking syringe.
That is the 2 stage pipette that comes with the Calcium checker. You put the clear plastic tip on it, immerse in your sample depress the plunger to the first stop and release keeping tip in sample for 2-3 seconds. Then to expel the sample into the cuvette, depress the plunger ALL THE WAY.
It makes the checker more accurate.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sweet I'm glad its included. Is it not accurate? I plan to tune my carx and get my numbers in line according to my tests. Once I feel confident in my testing protocol and see consistency, I will then send off to triton, something you couldnt have done 20 years ago. For $50 you too can see how close your numbers have been for the past couple decades and then use that as an offset if you are unhappy with your results.
I’ve thought about that. I will probably send out for a Triton test once I have a little history with the checkers and get consistent readings myself. I don’t consider a single point of data to be an accurate representation, since none of these values are static. But I feel everything is relatively accurate. Like I said, given my coral growth, I believe the value displayed on the checker. Also, that pipette is easy to use, and really makes measuring the .1ml effortless.

You will love the calcium reactor. That really makes cal and alk additions effortless. I have to fiddle with mine occasionally, but mostly it is on auto pilot and I don’t think about it. I am considering getting a continuous rated dosing pump for the effluent, because right now I’m only using internal pump pressure and a micro ball valve to adjust my effluent drip rate.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve thought about that. I will probably send out for a Triton test once I have a little history with the checkers and get consistent readings myself. I don’t consider a single point of data to be an accurate representation, since none of these values are static. But I feel everything is relatively accurate. Like I said, given my coral growth, I believe the value displayed on the checker. Also, that pipette is easy to use, and really makes measuring the .1ml effortless.

You will love the calcium reactor. That really makes cal and alk additions effortless. I have to fiddle with mine occasionally, but mostly it is on auto pilot and I don’t think about it. I am considering getting a continuous rated dosing pump for the effluent, because right now I’m only using internal pump pressure and a micro ball valve to adjust my effluent drip rate.
With the versa being only $150 there is really no excuse to not have a peristalsic pump. Hopefully they hold up. I have an aqualifter to feed, a Sicce to recirculate and the versa to pull. The aqualifter might be overkill but it was only $20 so not a big deal.

fishkeeper54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you recommend a method to avoid traces of Ca? Is there a particular brand of distilled water that meets the requirements? Is there a certain method of washing your test tube to avoid traces of Ca? Hanna is just TOO convenient. I realize people such as yourself love the dead nuts accuracy and the thrill of conducting an experiment but some of us dont really enjoy mixing solutions and we are willing to accept a little inaccuracy for the sake of time saved. We just want to know our numbers are close enough to being on point and go about our day. Thanks for your time....
Hanna sells deionized water, #HI70436, specifically for the ca checker. If that helps any

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back