Bad Hanna Calcium checker?

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently got back my triton lab report and shocking saw that my calcium levels were at 220 ppm.

I Tested the calcium levels when I got the test back. My Hanna checker gave me a reading of 390.

Confused I checked again and the checker read 393.

So do I go by triton ? Or the Hanna?
Any ideas?

monti mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that the Hanna checker is extremely sensitive to any residual calcium in the cuvette/glass tube. Never use tap water to clean the tubes - only use RODI. Maybe others can add more...

OP
OP
4ddiction

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that the Hanna checker is extremely sensitive to any residual calcium in the cuvette/glass tube. Never use tap water to clean the tubes - only use RODI. Maybe others can add more...

Awesome point. Going to use a freshly cleaned tube.

OP
OP
4ddiction

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did one better and used a brand new tube. Popped the plastic cap and all. Did the test and it came out to 440. Going to do another test tomorrow to see if it’s the same.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with my first Ca tester. It seems like some water got down onto the photodiode and ruined it.

OP
OP
4ddiction

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with my first Ca tester. It seems like some water got down onto the photodiode and ruined it.

Interesting. Ive never had any issues with my other Hanna checkers. I wonder if CA more finicky.

I want to go with Triton being more accurate since it’s a lab. I’m not sure maybe my calcium checker is incorrect

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id go by the triton test. I have had HORRIBLE luck with the calcium checkers giving me high results. No matter what I did the tests were always wrong.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering getting that Hanna calcium checker, but your post has me questioning that idea. I did notice that Hanna sells a calibration kit. So if I get this checker, I'm also ordering this kit. But I thought I would mention it to you, because you could verify the calibration of your tester if you had this calibration kit. Might be worth it so you know if your tester is functioning or not.

OP
OP
4ddiction

4ddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been considering getting that Hanna calcium checker, but your post has me questioning that idea. I did notice that Hanna sells a calibration kit. So if I get this checker, I'm also ordering this kit. But I thought I would mention it to you, because you could verify the calibration of your tester if you had this calibration kit. Might be worth it so you know if your tester is functioning or not.

I did see that. I already ordered a different calcium check to compare results. Going to see if what Randy posted works. Will try the test out on fresh saltwater.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Ive never had any issues with my other Hanna checkers. I wonder if CA more finicky.

I want to go with Triton being more accurate since it’s a lab. I’m not sure maybe my calcium checker is incorrect
I still recommend it. IMHO it's better than most of the other testers, it's just that it can go bad just like anything else.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I saw a pretty good video that persuaded me to buy a hanna Ca. It's all about having proper water to start with. The dude did a test and found that CVS distilled water produced the best results. He also goes in depth on how to properly run the test. Search for it on here and you will find it

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a pretty good video that persuaded me to buy a hanna Ca. It's all about having proper water to start with. The dude did a test and found that CVS distilled water produced the best results. He also goes in depth on how to properly run the test. Search for it on here and you will find it
Link please, if it's easy for you to find. There are so many post and videos on Hanna checkers.
I would love to see the video. Thanks

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think step #2 is a major problem with the hanna calcium checker:

“With the 1mL syringe, add 1mL of reagent Ato the clean cuvette. Then, using the dropper, fill the cuvette to the 10mL mark with ——>>> deionized water. (Distilled water is also acceptable.) <<<——- Once the reagent and water are added, invert the cuvette five times to mix.”

The test is dependent on having pristine ro/di with an emphasis being placed on the DI or distilled water to reference. If your source fresh water has calcium in it, it’ll skew the results, typically higher than what your tank’s calcium level actually is. When in doubt, go get yourself a jug of steam distilled water and retest.

kevin_e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
220 seems awfully low. What is your magnesium on the ICP? Do you do frequently water changes? Dose? Heavy coral demand?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Link please, if it's easy for you to find. There are so many post and videos on Hanna checkers.
I would love to see the video. Thanks
Here you go bro. This talked me into at least trying it. I've got a CaRx going to be running in a week. I plan to send off to Triton afterwards and see how close my own tests

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the Hanna calcium checker is poorly designed in that it is so overly sensitive to traces of calcium in the fresh water.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back