Bad hobby terms.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it falls into the same vein as the OP wishes.....but it's not words, it pictures. Anyone asking for help with a hitchhiker must have taken the picture during an earthquake or from their neighbor's living room across the street. Either the picture is so out of focus or a wide view with nothing circled or "arrowed" that you have no idea what you're looking at. Drives me nuts!!!

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it falls into the same vein as the OP wishes.....but it's not words, it pictures. Anyone asking for help with a hitchhiker must have taken the picture during an earthquake or from their neighbor's living room across the street. Either the picture is so out of focus or a wide view with nothing circled or "arrowed" that you have no idea what you're looking at. Drives me nuts!!!
Or the picture is so blue you cant tell what it what!

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think "FTS" and terms like "Algae scrubber" :mad:... Other than that nothing I just think we need to get rid of these scientific names I can't pronounce... like Amphiprioniae ;)

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think "FTS" and terms like "Algae scrubber" :mad:... Other than that nothing I just think we need to get rid of these scientific names I can't pronounce... like Amphiprioniae ;)

See, as I stated I think we need more scientific names. So that the rest of us actually know what the heck someone is talking about. Too generalized wording is just making things worse, as I and another have already mentioned. If they say "this LPS I have" actually makes no sense, or even "this (insert common name here)" still doesn't work. So working at learning correct scientific names or at least the Genera of what you're talking about makes things a lot easier in the long run.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DC pump - when in fact the pump itself is an AC brushless motor.
Tank size - manufactures use the exterior volume of a tank to measure tank volume.
Skimmer rating - straight arbitrary number that has a different meaning from one manufacturer to the next.
Nice coral - when you know dang well the pic is so blurry that you have no idea what the bloody thing is!

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a term.. but a pet peeve... When someone asks about keeping a particular fish, to which there is a resounding consensus from all who answer that the fish should not be purchased... due to tank size, tank mates, etc.
Then, three days later there's a slew of panic threads by the same OP with titles such as: "Help with new fish" "what to feed?" "Aggressive tank mates, new fish being bullied" "new fish looks sick"

This is just one of my biggest pet peeves. Why ask if you aren't going to listen to any advice given? I'm all for getting your dream fish, but I feel like sometimes people don't use the google search engine at all or just don't care... and it drives me crazy!

Last edited:

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, as I stated I think we need more scientific names. So that the rest of us actually know what the heck someone is talking about. Too generalized wording is just making things worse, as I and another have already mentioned. If they say "this LPS I have" actually makes no sense, or even "this (insert common name here)" still doesn't work. So working at learning correct scientific names or at least the Genera of what you're talking about makes things a lot easier in the long run.

The marketing names are out of control It frustrates me that anyone can name their own corals..."strawberry shortcake", WWC bounce mushroom? I would love to see ppl trying to indefinite using a scientific name. Francis from the TV show Fish tank kings did and it was super funny... I guess marketing names works because it makes it fun, simple, and easy to remember :D But to stay on the topic... BAD HOBBY TERMS = corny marketing names

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just started calling bounces "Rhodactis mushroom with highly inflated vesicles" people who paid through the nose for them hate when you point out how it isn't rare at all. But to stay on topic again, another of mine is when some vendor says "RARE corals" collector this or "high end" that drives me crazy. The hype is getting infuriating. I remember buying all these for so much less a decade ago.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just started calling bounces "Rhodactis mushroom with highly inflated vesicles" people who paid through the nose for them hate when you point out how it isn't rare at all. But to stay on topic again, another of mine is when some vendor says "RARE corals" collector this or "high end" that drives me crazy. The hype is getting infuriating. I remember buying all these for so much less a decade ago.

Dynamistic basidiomycetous fungi possessing optimal intrinsic coloration and elasticity. Subjective value often suboptimal.

cdmckinzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!!!!!!
+1 to this!! It's called a cycle because it always continues. The food cycle doesn't end with the dominant predator, the weather cycle doesn't end with rain, a bicycle doesn't end at the air valve. The nitrogen cycle doesn't end with nitrate!
I've started using the term "initial cycle" instead of cycle and I feel more comfortable with that!

We have numbers for literally every single other possible thing in our tank. Why not flow?!
Along those same lines as "high" vs "low" is coral placement. What may be considered "low" in a 120 could still be higher than the lid on my 8gal cube [emoji23]
It irritates me how much this irritates me.

I think the main issue with common names is when I say meat coral, cushion coral, doughnut coral, or open brain, someone could easily be thinking of 10 different corals. They're all common names that belong to completely different species, but most of these species are known by all of these common names. When I say open brain, I could be talking about cynarina and someone could think I'm talking about a lobophyllia. It bothers me, but I came into this hobby using mainly common names so I guess I'm not allowed to be too bothered by it haha.
Being new to the hobby I have learned more of the scientific names for corals it's mainly the fish I'm talking about. But I don't understand how anyone can remember the 1000's of different names for corals that refer to the color. I get on a site that lists 65 different acros, and 45 different zoas, ugh, how will I ever remember them all [emoji15]

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an unusual amount of negativity. I hope this thread is very cathartic for you all.

Well, there aren't many times we get to rant about incorrect things that are used by a large amount of people. So yes it's been very cathartic, but I doubt any of the things said will change.

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!!!!!!
+1 to this!! It's called a cycle because it always continues. The food cycle doesn't end with the dominant predator, the weather cycle doesn't end with rain, a bicycle doesn't end at the air valve. The nitrogen cycle doesn't end with nitrate!
I've started using the term "initial cycle" instead of cycle and I feel more comfortable with that!

We have numbers for literally every single other possible thing in our tank. Why not flow?!
Along those same lines as "high" vs "low" is coral placement. What may be considered "low" in a 120 could still be higher than the lid on my 8gal cube [emoji23]
It irritates me how much this irritates me.

I think the main issue with common names is when I say meat coral, cushion coral, doughnut coral, or open brain, someone could easily be thinking of 10 different corals. They're all common names that belong to completely different species, but most of these species are known by all of these common names. When I say open brain, I could be talking about cynarina and someone could think I'm talking about a lobophyllia. It bothers me, but I came into this hobby using mainly common names so I guess I'm not allowed to be too bothered by it haha.
I enjoy the nerd factor of knowing proper scientific names. I'm disappointed how difficult it is to find LFS employees who can do that.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back