Bad hobby terms.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to hear what terms in this hobby drive you nuts.
A few that bother me are

(Show tank for sale) what determines what a show tank is. Any tank that is shown is a show tank.

(Plexliglass tank) plexiglass is a brand of a type of clear plastic, in my opinion a terrible type of plastic to use for a tank compared to polycarbonate or other types

( custom tank) if it was mass produced it's not custom
I was cruising Craigslist when I seen these words used so I figure there are more dose not have to be things for sale.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Cycling" an aquarium when starting it.

This isn't a cycle that is somehow completed like the term implies when people say the tank has cycled. The term comes from the fact that it relates to the nitrogen cycle. In reality, an aquarium is never "cycled". The bio filter is contuously adjusting based on how the tank is maintained. We only consider a tank "cycled" when there is enough nitrifying bacteria in the system to safely add fish.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know these are not terms, but fall in a similar category OP. Hope you don't mind? 1) "How many fish can I have?" No other information given 2) "What is the Best Lighting" No other information given 3) "What is the best Protein skimmer?" No other information given 4) my fish is sick, please help? No other information given

I guess I need to be a mind reader, in order to really help. Grrrrrrrr

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know these are not terms, but fall in a similar category OP. Hope you don't mind? 1) "How many fish can I have?" No other information given 2) "What is the Best Lighting" No other information given 3) "What is the best Protein skimmer?" No other information given 4) my fish is sick, please help? No other information given

I guess I need to be a mind reader, in order to really help. Grrrrrrrr
Yes those count

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The whole 'clownfish hosting an anemone' thing annoys the heck out of me, but only because it caused me so much frustration trying to understand how it was the clownfish doing the hosting before I knew any better. That's probably an obvious one that annoys most people.

Yup.

A host receives a guest, like at a party. This always seemed black and white to me but obviously I am in the minority.

Or others who think the anemone has to accept the clown before the clown can reside in the anemone. Anemones are a simple nervous system, gut, there is no thought process going on weather or not a clown fish is acceptable or worthy.

Ich, such a misleading name/diagnosis/title. Cryptocaryon irritans, not the same parasite as FW ich, the remedies for Ich do not work for Cryptocaryon irritans.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a recent one of those annoying -------? "First time owning a larger size tank (500liters-110gallon) just asking for suggestions on best type of filtration? Thanks" ((( (No other information/pics) Really!!!!

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What grinds my gears in this hobby?
1- before buying, finding a LPS that would deliver, almost impossible, in fact, this LPS owner said " I don't deliver, not even for $1,000.00.
2- why does my LPS insist on giving me stuff for FREE, that I don't want, and would never want in my DT, I'm sure we call them PESTS

djreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity, in place of carbonate hardness, or dKH.

Alkalinity refers to the pH of any substance north of 7.0. Carbonate hardness refers to the amount of carbonate disolved in solution. The two terms are not interchangeable, yet they are within our hobby with great regularity.

This one has bugged me for years (decades, actually).

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity, in place of carbonate hardness, or dKH.

Alkalinity refers to the pH of any substance north of 7.0. Carbonate hardness refers to the amount of carbonate disolved in solution. The two terms are not interchangeable, yet they are within our hobby with great regularity.

This one has bugged me for years (decades, actually).
I hadn't thought of this one but you are absolutely correct! I may have to stop using Alk... time to start the CH revolution!

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Cycling" an aquarium when starting it.

This isn't a cycle that is somehow completed like the term implies when people say the tank has cycled. The term comes from the fact that it relates to the nitrogen cycle. In reality, an aquarium is never "cycled". The bio filter is contuously adjusting based on how the tank is maintained. We only consider a tank "cycled" when there is enough nitrifying bacteria in the system to safely add fish.
*high five*

This has always driven me nuts. We establish the nitrogen cycle, not end it. That would be very bad ;)

djreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy and I had a conversation about this years and years ago on the old RC site. It bugged him, too. But not as much as it did me. I have to give a step by step explanation surrounding both concepts (pH/dKH) to customers at least a dozen times per week.

DJ

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
References to High, Medium/Moderate, or Low Flow/Lighting without a general establishment of what defines these terms...What is "high" in my 125 might be "low" in yours because we run different lights and powerheads.

Don't know why but it bothers me...Set the parameters then refer to them.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 88 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back