Bad Husbandry

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been great at taking care of my tank due to many reasons, but have started to get back into the habits of at least twice a month cleaning to get it back from some of the ugliness. I have started the slow cycle of replacing water to bring the nutrient levels down, but then realized that I might have a shortcut. I know that is bad word, but in this case it is probably the best option. Since it is two fish only, I can move them to the quarantine set up I have, drain the main tank completely, clean the algae from the rock work and refill. I will then be able to move the clowns back to the main tank within a day. The tank has been up since 2018, yes I know two fish in 4 years, but the plan was to have more. With this algae break out this year it has put my plans on hold, but I want to start populating the tank with more fish, slowly of course.

Can anyone think of a problem with this method?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you might end up killing off your bacteria and have to recycle if you drain all the water...

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this many times with no issues. Key is to not disturb the sand bed, if you have one, until everything else is out of the tank. Then move the sand and rinse very well with tap water. Either let dry and re-add or add new rinsed sand.
Next, make sure after you scrub the rocks really well, rinse them in saltwater and replace them into the tank. That way no bacteria loss.
Scrub tank all you want and rinse well, dry if needed (towel). Then put it all back in with saltwater. Clean, happy tank.

If you need more thoughts on this look at @brandon429 rip cleans.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good idea. As @livinlifeinBKK stated, you would have to basically restart your system and recycle the system.

I would suggest to test your nutrients, balance out the nutrients, check your clean up crew and add clean up crew.

looks at your skimmer to see if the skimmer is the right size for your system, if so the run some bacteria to compete with the algae.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you change out all of your water like that make sure you test your salinity and reacclimate your fish to the new water before you add them back. I would also move a rock or two into QT with the fish to help with ammonia if this project isn't done all in one day.

OP
OP
C

cdfjr1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the advice. Read the Rip clean method and seems like I will need to clear a day for that process. Not sure I'm up for that task for a little while since my weekend schedules are packed full of kid activities.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the advice. Read the Rip clean method and seems like I will need to clear a day for that process. Not sure I'm up for that task for a little while since my weekend schedules are packed full of kid activities.
I'm very familiar with that struggle. Take it slow in that case. Start a water change routine, pull out what you can with your hands and throw some clean up crew in there. If there's any flexibility to do so then beef up your filtration. It will take a few weeks but at least you don't have to go through all that hassle.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just take a few rocks out at a time during your regular water change. Use the old water to scrub those rocks in. Stiff bristle tooth brush works good. Or wire brush if extra stubborn algae.

How’s your tank doing on CUC? Might be a good time add a few more trochus or astrea snails. Urchins are great herbivores too.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria is on the rocks/surfaces, so I don't think you'd ruin your cycle.

Might want to reacclimate the fish and throwing in some bacteria isn't going to hurt in case you do have any die off.

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely recommend a good clean up crew from John at @reefcleaners. He really helped me with my reboot and I have since ordered all of my miscellaneous critters and cleanup crew from him!

if you send him an email with some tank shots, I’m sure he will help you with as much success as he helped me.

All the best to you and good luck!

Tom Does Disney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents...

it would be good for your "husbandry" to bring the tank back slowly through proper practices....

any algae bloom should be combatable with a skimmer/fug upgrade, adding a UV sterilizer, buffing the CUC, adding better media or a reactor, changing or upgrading flow, and looking at your lighting and feeding regimen...

starting over, you'll cure the problem quick and probably end up right back where you were within a year...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back