Bad Salt Batch Help

charged

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,
I've had a difficult time keeping SPS's and w/the help of my LFS may have found a source of the issue. My 125G has been running for about 10 years, 9 1/2 being fish only. I have a 30g sump w/skimmer, Refugium, filter socks and return pump. 6 Months ago I started adding some LPS's w/limited success. My ALK, CA and MG have been steadily rising w/out me adding anything. I had my ro/di salt mix water tested and everything was off the charts. Bad batch of Reef Crystals. I bought a new box and tested levels all in range. After a 25% water change my Alk dropped to 10.4 but my CA levels are still >500 and MG is at 1600. (Red sea test Kit) My tank has much coral line algae. Any suggestions on how I can lower my CA and MG w/out affecting ALK? My LFS also is questioning if coral line algae could be releasing CA. Is that possible? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible the salinity is higher than you think?

No, coralline do not release calcium into seawater.

True,

What are you using to measure Salinity with?

The best way to lower it would be to use Salt with lower levels than you currently have.

Your levels are fine by the way.

Even though people say to keep Magnesium at 1350 I know plenty of people that keep it at 1600 to 1700 (Where you currently have it) on purpose.

Some Corals (Chalices etc.) do better with elevated Magnesium.

It is also said to help keep Algae down as well.

As for the Calcium how high is it actually?

>500 could mean 505 or it could mean 1500

Saying above 500 does not help figure out the problem at all.

I have tanks with Caclium pretty close to 500 with no problems at all.

I think I read somewhere that as long as it does not go over 600 you will be fine (But maybe it was 700 - I do not remember the number - If anybody knows please post the magic number).

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

charged

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a Refractormeter for measuring salinity. I have calibrated it and had it tested at my LFS. Both readings were the same 1.026. 2 Months ago Alk was at 11.6, CA 425, and MG at 1300. I will retest CA and post an actual amount later today.
Thanks.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a Refractormeter for measuring salinity. I have calibrated it and had it tested at my LFS. Both readings were the same 1.026. 2 Months ago Alk was at 11.6, CA 425, and MG at 1300. I will retest CA and post an actual amount later today.
Thanks.

What did you Calibrate it with?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer digital salinity monitors myself. Had too many refractometer read inaccurately even after calibrating with 000ppm water. Sounds like that isn't your problem though. I agree with Randy that you should mix at cooler temperatures. I never heat my water prior or when mixing my salt.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is what a bad batch? The OP's water?

There's not enough info to understand what exactly was done (mixing up half a bucket, for example, can result in off values since it can "de-mix" during shipping), but I think it far, far more likely the magnesium testing was off (we know that happens very frequently) than IO made a bad batch of salt with high magnesium.

OP
OP
C

charged

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean the barrel regularly. Batch I had was mixed and tested at a LFS and readings were off the chart. They are sending Instant Ocean a sample.

OP
OP
C

charged

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Problem is I didn't catch it in time. My DT is testing high levels. Trying to figure out best way to bring them down w/out stressing my livestock.

OP
OP
C

charged

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is what a bad batch? The OP's water?

There's not enough info to understand what exactly was done (mixing up half a bucket, for example, can result in off values since it can "de-mix" during shipping), but I think it far, far more likely the magnesium testing was off (we know that happens very frequently) than IO made a bad batch of salt with high magnesium.
The batch of salt I was using had very high levels of Alk, CA and Mag. I had brought one of the bags to the LFS where they mixed and tested it. They are sending it back to IO. I fill a 32G rubbermaid barrel w/RO/DI(Readings all 0) then slowly add salt til I get it to 1.026. This is done over a couple of days. I have a powerhead that is left on to mix. I change water every 2 weeks. My last box purchased, testing was fine. My question now is best way to drop my levels in my DT w/out stressing corals.(LPS)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only the magnesium seems unusual. 505 ppm calcium (which yours might be) is not unusually high. My tank is above that and many salt mixes run that high or higher. Try a second syringe of titrant to get an actual value by adding the two together. :)

My money is on magnesium testing error. :)

OP
OP
C

charged

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only the magnesium seems unusual. 505 ppm calcium (which yours might be) is not unusually high. My tank is above that and many salt mixes run that high or higher. Try a second syringe of titrant to get an actual value by adding the two together. :)

My money is on magnesium testing error. :)

Hi Randy,
My CA test came to 505. (1.01) You were right. Still have an issue w/keeping corals. Using Pac Sun Triton LED's. Same as LFS where I buy my corals. I take it you keep corals w/those levels w/out issues? Running out of things to test.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back