Salt batch issues

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Have some issues with aquaforest reef salt. I checked the batch number and at 33 ppt salinity the alk should be around 7.6 dkh. I mixed a 20 litres yesterday at 35 ppt and tested alk today with ati kh and salifert. It came up at 6.4 dkh. Why is that some slat bacthes come low on dkh. Should in not use it? I can fix the alk with some baking soda but i am worried that other parameters (elements) might be at different levels from the ones the batch icp refers. Any opinions and experiences. Should i take it back to my LFS?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah just use it! Remember, your test kits have some error attached to them as well! :)

It may serve as a good practice session on ensuring consistently having the same test results. There may be some array of user error attached to this as well. Try testing five times in a row using your test kit. If you are using it correctly and consistently, chances are you will have very similar results from each test.

What I am trying to say, there's nothing wrong with your salt. Go ahead and use it - and if you really want to know "the exact alkalinity", take the average of your five tests.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
Have some issues with aquaforest reef salt. I checked the batch number and at 33 ppt salinity the alk should be around 7.6 dkh. I mixed a 20 litres yesterday at 35 ppt and tested alk today with ati kh and salifert. It came up at 6.4 dkh. Why is that some slat bacthes come low on dkh. Should in not use it? I can fix the alk with some baking soda but i am worried that other parameters (elements) might be at different levels from the ones the batch icp refers. Any opinions and experiences. Should i take it back to my LFS?
I'd use it.
Did you mix the bucket before mixing with water? Some things settle out in shipping.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I'd use it. There are lots of sources of error in your measurements, including both the salinity and the alk testing, and how well you adequately sampled the entire bucket.

I'd also take batch info to really be their target for a bucket, not what actually shows up in every single bucket.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back