Bad split?

codywhitaker14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank with 15+ black widow anemones and one the other day started acting weird any not placing its foot anywhere so I took it out and put it in another tank. But once I investigated into the tank it was originally in, I found another anemone but it has no tentacles. Just a foot and mouth I’m assuming but it was stuck from both end on the back glass and the rock scape. Has anyone seen this before?

OP
OP
C

codywhitaker14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3746.jpeg

OP
OP
C

codywhitaker14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing is alive, I’m sure it’s an anemone but that’s what split off the big anemone.
Idk if it’s just deformed, but the big guy this thing came off of has been having an issue planting its foot so I wonder if he spilt off more foot then he wanted to.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Sometimes when they split they don’t get enough mouth and just slowly perish. Don’t know why this happens but I’ve had it happen three times now and none have survived and once the big anemone died other two times they were fine.

OP
OP
C

codywhitaker14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Sometimes when they split they don’t get enough mouth and just slowly perish. Don’t know why this happens but I’ve had it happen three times now and none have survived and once the big anemone died other two times they were fine.
Ok cool! That makes me feel a bit better, I’m hoping both will pull through but I’m not to confident on the little one. I really hope I don’t lose the big guy but I have them both in an anemone box because I can’t have the big one floating around stinging all my corals. He’s still fully extended and fluffy so I hope some time in the box will heal his foot. I’m not to concerned with the little one, I figured it was a long shot on his survival but I’ll still give it a shot

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool! That makes me feel a bit better, I’m hoping both will pull through but I’m not to confident on the little one. I really hope I don’t lose the big guy but I have them both in an anemone box because I can’t have the big one floating around stinging all my corals. He’s still fully extended and fluffy so I hope some time in the box will heal his foot. I’m not to concerned with the little one, I figured it was a long shot on his survival but I’ll still give it a shot
Thanks for the photo!

Thanks for the confirmation @Dbichler!

I’m on my phone and will open the image on my computer later to see more details.

These splits are interesting and I am glad that I have a mother (and father) because I don’t like the idea of asexual relationships.

Happy Mothers Day!
Stressed Mothers Day GIF by GIPHY Studios 2021

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back