Badly injured bta

pirate9182

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was given a Colorado sunburst BTA. I was unaware that it was a recent split that I don't think was fully healed and to add to that the original owner damaged it pretty bad getting it off the rock. I know it's a long shot but wondering if there's anything I can do to help it heal and / or what opinions are on the survival.

hard to get a good pic without further stressing it out. The mouth appears to be Intact but the tear goes down to the foot and a small (maybe 5% to 10%) of the edge of the foot is missing.
20230920_191004.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was given a Colorado sunburst BTA. I was unaware that it was a recent split that I don't think was fully healed and to add to that the original owner damaged it pretty bad getting it off the rock. I know it's a long shot but wondering if there's anything I can do to help it heal and / or what opinions are on the survival.

hard to get a good pic without further stressing it out. The mouth appears to be Intact but the tear goes down to the foot and a small (maybe 5% to 10%) of the edge of the foot is missing.
20230920_191004.jpg
There is hope. Moderate light and water flow and feed mysis shrimp. Assure phos does not become high

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd get it in an anemone box. Some gravel on the box bottom if you can. It wants flow but gentle - not enough to beat it up. It needs to attach to something. Definitely don't want any clown bothering it.

Near the light. This anemone needs light for energy to heal. Amino acids will help. Dose to the box, maybe 5 ml of something strong. I use Brightwell's.

If the anemones mouth is damaged, you do not want to feed it. Food can rot inside a healthy anemone and kill it if over fed, or fed too frequently. You definitely do not want to feed an anemone with an impaired gastric tract. It likely won't exhibit a feeding response in its current state, but you also don't want decaying food nearby either. It will already be predisposed to bacterial infection.

Last edited:

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just healed a CSB anemone that i fragged (the frag was completely missing any portion of a mouth). It since regrown a mouth from nothing, and is almost completely healed.

I used the above protocol to do this with the above anemone (and others). I have not lost a BTA. On a scale of 0-10 (with 0 being a pile of rancid mush), yours is about a 6. Treat it with care, and it should be fine.

OP
OP
P

pirate9182

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies. I will order amino acids and possibly a nem box. I turned off power heads and just have a tidal 110 running and placed it right under a rock ledge in the shade. The injury is very close to the mouth so I'll hold off on feeding for the time being.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the replies. I will order amino acids and possibly a nem box. I turned off power heads and just have a tidal 110 running and placed it right under a rock ledge in the shade. The injury is very close to the mouth so I'll hold off on feeding for the time being.

You want this anemone out of the shade, exposed to 200-350 PAR or as close to this as feasible. The anemone needs light to make energy in order to heal. It isn't a mushroom or other LPS that easily reaches photosaturation. It appreciates lighting as strong or stronger than what you would provide the most light-demanding SPS.

Full spectrum is best. All lights on, all color channels at 100% (if using LED). If you need help w/ the spectrum, post your light model here. If running T5 or Halide, obviously no adjustment you can make (unless you have an assortment of bulbs).

OP
OP
P

pirate9182

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want this anemone out of the shade, exposed to 200-350 PAR or as close to this as feasible. The anemone needs light to make energy in order to heal. It isn't a mushroom or other LPS that easily reaches photosaturation. It appreciates lighting as strong or stronger than what you would provide the most light-demanding SPS.

Full spectrum is best. All lights on, all color channels at 100% (if using LED). If you need help w/ the spectrum, post your light model here. If running T5 or Halide, obviously no adjustment you can make (unless you have an assortment of bulbs).
It moved itself to a hole where it can reach out and get some light and has inflated a good amount when I get home I will I can remove the rock over it to get more light. I have chinese black box blues on 100 and whites around 15 to 20 I'll turn the white up also. I ordered aminos and nem box that should arrive tomorrow but I think it's attached to a rock now if so then I'll leave it be and just work on getting it more light.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It moved itself to a hole where it can reach out and get some light
Ah, I see.

and has inflated a good amount
This is a great sign.

when I get home I will I can remove the rock over it to get more light.
Perfect plan.

I have chinese black box blues on 100 and whites around 15 to 20 I'll turn the white up also.
OK - you could probably turn whites up to 30-40 % without hurting much else in the tank. What other corals do you have in there?

I ordered aminos and nem box that should arrive tomorrow
That's great. You may notice the anemone react to adding the aminos - my anemones all did this. They would move slightly (shrink just a bit) and would immediately open up. If you observe this, it's normal.

but I think it's attached to a rock now if so then I'll leave it be and just work on getting it more light.
OK, got it. If you can't get it into a box, just moving the rock closer to the light would be helpful as well.

OP
OP
P

pirate9182

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got some zoas, duncan, hammer, and meteor shower. It's a small tank 29 gallon and granted it survives this anemone I want to be like the center peice so I'm not to concerned with the coral. I got the rocks moved out and it's bubbled up pretty good but still hasn't attached. As for the amino acids do I just spot feed the anemone like I would when feeding?
20230921_150339.jpg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably not a CSB (the pink tips are indicative of RBTA, not CSB) but I expect it to make a full recovery nonetheless.

When using aminos, just be careful not to drop it directly on top of the anemone. Near it is fine, but too close and it can get too much at one time.

OP
OP
P

pirate9182

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably not a CSB (the pink tips are indicative of RBTA, not CSB) but I expect it to make a full recovery nonetheless.

When using aminos, just be careful not to drop it directly on top of the anemone. Near it is fine, but too close and it can get too much at one time.
OK thanks for all the tips I really appreciate it.

And yea the owner originally thought it was a rainbow bit his maintenance guy convinced him it's a csb. Either way the mother nem is gorgeous and it was free

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's a small tank 29 gallon and granted it survives this anemone I want to be like the center peice so I'm not to concerned with the coral
Will be beautiful!

I got the rocks moved out and it's bubbled up pretty good but still hasn't attached.
It's looking pretty good. Leave it alone unless it's headed for a power head.

As for the amino acids do I just spot feed the anemone like I would when feeding?
Yep. Turn your pumps off, just squirt the acids (3-5 ml) in the direction of the nem. Leave the flow off for 10-15 minutes. It would be terribly hard to overdose. Keep up the great work.

You have a pic of mama?

OP
OP
P

pirate9182

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be beautiful!

It's looking pretty good. Leave it alone unless it's headed for a power head.

Yep. Turn your pumps off, just squirt the acids (3-5 ml) in the direction of the nem. Leave the flow off for 10-15 minutes. It would be terribly hard to overdose. Keep up the great work.

You have a pic of mama?
It finally attached to a rock and is bubbled up very nicely so I'm thrilled about that. I do t have a pic at the moment but next time I go to the vape store where she lives I'll take a few. Thanks again for the help I appreciate it!

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It finally attached to a rock and is bubbled up very nicely so I'm thrilled about that. I do t have a pic at the moment but next time I go to the vape store where she lives I'll take a few. Thanks again for the help I appreciate it!
Great news. Keep us posted. Throw a pic up when you can!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back