Baffled by baffles

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering what exactly are sump baffles for?
I know it's to have chambers for return, and refuge and filters. But why have them if you don't want a refuge? Couldn't I just have a 10 gallon tank under the DT to put a heater, skimmer, filter sock and return pump all in one chamber?
I'm not understanding why we take the time to install a maze like system to have a path for water?

Is there more to it than I am knowing?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't I just have a 10 gallon tank under the DT to put a heater, skimmer, filter sock and return pump all in one chamber?
yes. one use is bubble removal though from skimmer and return

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They trap air bubbles from the skimmer so they don't make it to the display.
Also a separate chamber for the return with properly designed baffle allow the skimmer to sit in an area that is not affected by evaporation. Most Skimmers need a constant water level to run efficiently. The other benefit is the evaporation is lowering the water level in a smaller surface area Chamber so it takes less evaporation to trigger an ATO sensor, keeping salinity more stable

Alanc425

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could, but as mentioned its for bubble removal, having a seperate section for a refugium if you use one. And probably the most important feature would be a slimmer section that keeps the water at a set level (usually higher than the last sump section), this allows you to maintain optimal skimmer performance that isn't impacted by evaporation.

http://gmacreef.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/sump-design-diagram-gmacreef.jpg

airmotive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget the heater!
The heater goes into a part of the sump that the return pump can't pump dry (i.e., with the skimmer). Keeps you from getting a partially exposed heating element if you forget to top off, or your ATO goes AWOL.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not understanding why we take the time to install a maze like system to have a path for water?

Is there more to it than I am knowing?

Excellent question that I think more people should stop to ask. :)

No. They are mostly useless (or worse) in most cases IMO.

A simple reed-type float switch will hold your entire sump level adequately for your skimmer.

Every bubble stopping solution I've tried is better than baffles at quelling drain turbulence.

I made a contraption from half a dozen 3" PVC fittings that is excellent, takes up little space, also holds my ATO sensor and is removable should I so choose.

As for protecting heaters, the more baffles, the smaller the volume of water in your "heater chamber". My entire sump volume plus ATO would have to evaporate before any pump or heater could be exposed.

There are some specific uses for baffles, but I think most reefers would be happier without.

$0.02 :)

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible to run one w/o baffles. I ran a 10G w/o baffles under my 20G. I used it as a refugium/sump with chaeto, my heater and extra live rock (minimalist aquascape in the 20G). I didn't worry about too many bubbles bc I ran this set up w/o a skimmer.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back