Bait shop live shrimp in my saltwater aquarium?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it possible? If they’re saltwater shrimp, sure. However, I would be very cautious because of the potential problematic introductions. Regardless of what you decide, welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Looking Coral Reef GIF by Monterey Bay Aquarium

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put bait shop live shrimp in my saltwater aquarium?

Welcome! Glad you joined. Different critters have different diet requirements - as long as you are okay with those shrimp eating whatever it is those shrimp eat, then sure!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

I would agree you could. However they could be carrying pests if it's wild caught or farmed in the ocean. I would try to quarantine it first.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put bait shop live shrimp in my saltwater aquarium?
Yes - not commonly done, but you can (not sure how reef safe they are though).

Rusalty cultures bait shrimp (Penaeus duorarum) as feeder shrimp, and I've seen Kuruma Shrimp (A.K.A. Japanese Tiger Shrimp - Penaeus japonicus) for sale for aquariums too. The good news with a lot (but not all) of the bait/human food species out there is that there's usually a decent amount of info on caring for/aquaculturing them, so you can usually figure out how to care for them effectively with relatively little effort - I haven't looked into these guys specifically much yet, but I'd imagine they're not too bad to keep.

Personally, I think they would be pretty interesting tank inhabitants, so I'd say to quarantine them, make sure they're healthy, add them to the DT and enjoy - then let us know how it goes and if they're reef safe.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sure. You might have some trouble finding healthy ones, though, the poor things aren't exactly treated well at the bait shops. Get extras, quarantine, and expect some to die.

They may or may not be reef safe. I would guess that they won't eat a huge amount of coral, but they may pick at it, and will probably steal food from LPS corals. They may also be territorial with other shrimp- some cleaners are territorial types, so maybe that applies to these as well?

I would guess that they'd be similar in care to a giant version of a ghost or glass shrimp.

OP
OP
S

Surplus Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible? If they’re saltwater shrimp, sure. However, I would be very cautious because of the potential problematic introductions. Regardless of what you decide, welcome to Reef2Reef!!!
Thanks
Yes they are white salt water shrimp used here for bait on the central east coast of Florida.
So far a Puffer ate one and the rest have been cleaning the tank. They were only $2.00 for 6 shrimp so if they all end up as puffer food I'm ok with that.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You sure can however they may become food at some point

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 11.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 46 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back