Bait shop live shrimp in my saltwater aquarium?

OP
OP
S

Surplus Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Steve. Not something I would do but others might.
So far no harm no fowl. Tangs and Puffer are eating their legs and soft underbelly. Others have jumped out and floor surfing. Down to three from 10 in one day. Chemistry seems to be ok. An experiment on the cheap side. Total cost $2. Glad I didn’t buy expensive aquarium store shrimp.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far no harm no fowl. Tangs and Puffer are eating their legs and soft underbelly. Others have jumped out and floor surfing. Down to three from 10 in one day. Chemistry seems to be ok. An experiment on the cheap side. Total cost $2. Glad I didn’t buy expensive aquarium store shrimp.

Guessing no canopy or screen or something on top allowed them to carpet surf? Some of my babies over the years have been opportunistic Olympic carpet surfers (deadly sport), so I've learned to block as many escape routes as possible... but if they are motivated to get out of the way of fish, those shrimp may try anything.

With a puffer, I'd think eventually any and all shrimp will become food. Puffers have great personalities! I'd vote for puffer over shrimp any day.

OP
OP
S

Surplus Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing no canopy or screen or something on top allowed them to carpet surf? Some of my babies over the years have been opportunistic Olympic carpet surfers (deadly sport), so I've learned to block as many escape routes as possible... but if they are motivated to get out of the way of fish, those shrimp may try anything.

With a puffer, I'd think eventually any and all shrimp will become food. Puffers have great personalities! I'd vote for puffer over shrimp any day.
Agreed!

FishPureLuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to put a couple dozen a week in my tank for fish food. I soaked them in ro water for a few minutes to kill anything on them before I stuck them in the tank. Not sure if it helped, but my fish never got sick. I'd keep some in the sump to clean things up too. No issues when I did it.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put bait shop live shrimp in my saltwater aquarium?
Whenever I make a beach trip, I set up a live well with a Styrofoam cooler and a bubbler. Water changes are a bit of work, but I can keep a lot of shrimp alive for a few days. If I overcrowd them, they do tend to start to eat each other.

OP
OP
S

Surplus Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to put a couple dozen a week in my tank for fish food. I soaked them in ro water for a few minutes to kill anything on them before I stuck them in the tank. Not sure if it helped, but my fish never got sick. I'd keep some in the sump to clean things up too. No issues when I did it.
Good idea

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That sounds like harm to me. Either transfer them to something else, or go ahead and kill them humanely- no sense in letting them be picked apart when you already know what's going to happen. They may be cheap, but they're animals, they feel pain, and they deserve the basic respect of not being left to slow deaths.

OP
OP
S

Surplus Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like harm to me. Either transfer them to something else, or go ahead and kill them humanely- no sense in letting them be picked apart when you already know what's going to happen. They may be cheap, but they're animals, they feel pain, and they deserve the basic respect of not being left to slow deaths.
Uh, I usually put them on a hook and let the fish off my dock eat them. They are bait.

OP
OP
S

Surplus Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're animals. They also can't be used as bait any more, assuming your aquarium has nonnative species in it (there's a risk of pathogen transfer), so you may as well put them out of their misery instead of letting your fish kill them piece by piece.

Attachments

• B2D312EB-CBE8-4E7B-BAF9-BDFEFAFF3E3D.jpeg
    B2D312EB-CBE8-4E7B-BAF9-BDFEFAFF3E3D.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 23
  • A5500D72-476C-45A3-994E-A63C072EC510.jpeg
    A5500D72-476C-45A3-994E-A63C072EC510.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 28

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When it comes to talking about live bait, swap "shrimp" for "mouse" or "bird", and the answer is relatively obvious. It's a live animal being skewered on a piece of sharp metal.

And we're not talking about the shrimp being used for bait. We're talking about the ones currently in your aquarium, being killed slowly instead of killed quickly. There's no benefit to leaving them alive, no reason you couldn't just kill them now and let your fish eat them dead.

OP
OP
S

Surplus Steve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to talking about live bait, swap "shrimp" for "mouse" or "bird", and the answer is relatively obvious. It's a live animal being skewered on a piece of sharp metal.

And we're not talking about the shrimp being used for bait. We're talking about the ones currently in your aquarium, being killed slowly instead of killed quickly. There's no benefit to leaving them alive, no reason you couldn't just kill them now and let your fish eat them dead.
Ok

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.0%
Back