Bali Slimer issue

Umair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Reefers,

I'm fairly new to sps world so please be kind and patient :)

Attached bali slimer frag i added some 5-6 months before and although has not shown great growth but PE have always been nice. One new branch started growing recently also. Meanwhile about 2 months before added some more frags which included a large size bali slimer frag or maybe colony as it had about 8-9 branches. All frags and the attached frag i got from the same local reefer.

Since last one week i have noticed both of my bali slimers had good polyp extension on the front but on the back all polyps were closed. Parameters have been ok in my opinion nitrates always at 10 ppm, PO4 ranging between 0.02-0.06, ALK 7.5-8.0, CAL 425-440, MG remains between 1380-1420. Only change i can think of is i put redsea top net cover about one week ago.

So can anyone see any pests in the photo or the frag simply seems disturbed?

TIA

2.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-11 at 17.57.38.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg

vpoiu1263

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be AEFW.
I think the bottom is its egg.
And on the white part of the acropora you can hardly see is aefw .

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those things to the left of the base look like vermetid snails, (snot snails) their mucus net can be irritating to coral and could be contributing to the issue here. I dont see any AEFW ? but adults are near impossible to see against flesh only a dip will knock them off to be able to confirm they are there, but the tissue recession doesn't match up with bite marks IMO, my money is on its due to those vermetid snails.

just my .02

OP
OP
U

Umair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those things to the left of the base look like vermetid snails, (snot snails) their mucus net can be irritating to coral and could be contributing to the issue here. I dont see any AEFW ? but adults are near impossible to see against flesh only a dip will knock them off to be able to confirm they are there, but the tissue recession doesn't match up with bite marks IMO, my money is on its due to those vermetid snails.

just my .02

thank you will remove the plug, however the other large frag of bali slimer doesnt have any vermetid snails but still same issue.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might just be low light/ led shading. If you dip and don't see anything. You might need to add some supplemental lighting

OP
OP
U

Umair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i just gave the dip for about three minutes in revive but i cannot see anything suspicious.

i've tired searching for aefw pics after dip but couldn't find, anyone here can share some pics so i can compare with mine.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree it doesn’t look like aefw but the start of their damage can be very tricky to see on healthy coral. But I agree it’s the webs irritating the base. I would just superglue the area where they are. Especially if you didn’t see anything in the bucket. The worms curl up and wiggle when they fall off the coral in a dip and sometimes lay flat on the bottom. Adults are easy to spot but the babies you have to really look for.

OP
OP
U

Umair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree it doesn’t look like aefw but the start of their damage can be very tricky to see on healthy coral. But I agree it’s the webs irritating the base. I would just superglue the area where they are. Especially if you didn’t see anything in the bucket. The worms curl up and wiggle when they fall off the coral in a dip and sometimes lay flat on the bottom. Adults are easy to spot but the babies you have to really look for.
the small frag seems better after dip and being mounted on a new plate. i think my issue is low light. Adding another fixture this week so will update if any improvement

OP
OP
U

Umair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wanted to update, it seemed my lighting was not sufficient. since installing my new light fixture and playing around with my settings both frags are improving.

only bad thing is, after this post you guys pointed out my vermetid snails problem and now I realise they are all over my rocks :(

manually removed near the frags but they may just grow back and now it seems a constant battle.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wanted to update, it seemed my lighting was not sufficient. since installing my new light fixture and playing around with my settings both frags are improving.

only bad thing is, after this post you guys pointed out my vermetid snails problem and now I realise they are all over my rocks :(

manually removed near the frags but they may just grow back and now it seems a constant battle.
I have them too. I don’t think there’s a lot we can do to be honest. I try to pull them off with pliers and glue them shut whenever they are bothering a coral. I might try a laser someday but that seems extreme. But fun :)

OP
OP
U

Umair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them too. I don’t think there’s a lot we can do to be honest. I try to pull them off with pliers and glue them shut whenever they are bothering a coral. I might try a laser someday but that seems extreme. But fun :)

yeah spent some good two hours on Sunday morning crushing them with bone cutters.

btw is laser an option? would be easy and quick I guess

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah spent some good two hours on Sunday morning crushing them with bone cutters.

Don't think a laser would do anything to them. I have them in my system. I just cut them off when I see them.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have seen a couple threads here about lasers. I haven’t tried.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got tired of trying to remove the snails, so if I see one that may be irritating a frag I put some epoxy over it. Coraline algae covers the epoxy, so you never know its there.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back