Ball valve not a gate valve for main drain

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems most reefers prefer gate valves than ball valves,read that often on here.
I always got taught that a ball valve is better for plumbing ( not talking about salt water reef tanks)
Ball valves just more reliable than gate valves and fail less,which is my experience on water/air and central heating systems.

But either or either ,if use a gate valve, never open all the way as want leave a little wiggle room if ceases shut so can move both directions to try loosen ^_^

Just thinking maybe reefers prefer gate valves as won't be in service aslong as valves on plumbing and heating systems so less time to fail idk.

But am truly curious why most prefer gate valves rather than ball valves.
Maybe because ball valves offer a better seal and generally last longer and can be turned on/ off quicker than a gate valve and not in service as long usually on a reef tank and if dialing in the flow on overflow on reef tank its then left alone ? So no need to turn on/ off quickly or provide a 100% seal,or maybe pressures less on reef tanks so not as many problems with gate valves idk ha ha as only had one reef tank and no valves on my durso overflow going to my sump so cant really comment on which is better ^_^
For tuning the flow of water, gate valves are preferred because in both Herbie and bean animal, You can fine tune them Silent and consistently. My frag tank sits by feet behind my work computer. It has an eclipse small overflow running a Herbie. It is completely silent. I was able to tune it over the course of many hours, turning the wheel. Maybe a 32nd of a turn. Let it run and settle out for 20 minutes and make another small adjustment.

I haven't touched this plumbing in 3 months, and it has not deviated. That level of control is near impossible with a brand new ball valve. Impossible after it's run it's while.

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a completely different use case that what’s going on in an aquarium gravity drain. The only reason a gate valve is better in this case is the leverage you can get on the handle to adjust it long term.
Globe valves are better for throttling in process service because of the cage design and how easily controlled they are. You can engineer a plug and cage combination that can fit almost any service reliably however where they start to have problems is high solids service. erosion will effect the cage openings which will change the valve Cv and controllability. They also can get stupid expensive. But again that’s not for typical aquarium service.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ball valves on my 120 but they are wide open anyway….it’s only going to drain as fast as your return fills it back up. The only way you would need anything dialed back would be if your drains couldn’t keep up with your return pump!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ball valves on my 120 but they are wide open anyway….it’s only going to drain as fast as your return fills it back up. The only way you would need anything dialed back would be if your drains couldn’t keep up with your return pump!
If you wish to have a perfectly silent overflow operating in a balanced syphon with the return pump you don't operate full open. Most use a gate valve as that allows very accurate adjustment which is difficult to achieve with a ball valve.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You clearly don't understand the physics of running multiple drains -one being a full siphon.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You understand we are working with small volumes of water, in a home aquarium, Not in a geothermal well, correct?

Both a car and a bandsaw have a tire. They don't even belong in the same discussion together.

As it pertains to this discussion about tuning overflows, gate valves are not hard.

Yes, I realize sometimes things don't scale. But other times they do.

Gate​

The gate valve belongs to the linear motion valve family. Gate valves have discs that move up and down for the opening and closing of the valves. They are primarily used as a turn on-shut off services. Gate valves have limitations as throttling valves.

In an almost-shut aperture, throttling happens as it limits the flow of media. This increases the velocity of the media as it goes out of the valve.

Limitations​

The only time that you should use gate valves for throttling is when the valve is 90% closed. Closing it to just about 50% won’t achieve the desired throttling capabilities. The downside to using the gate valve is that the velocity of the media can easily erode the face of the disc.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like a problem that goes away when scaled down.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t understand how much you need a gate valve until you have one. I almost went with a ball, but I would have never been able to tune my overflows if I made that decision.

Get the gate valve and be glad you did it right the first time. :)

The Farmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look into a ball valve or a gate valve the ball valve has 2 source of passage for the water to go through hence why it’s difficult to tune, the gate valve has only 1 obstacle for the water to go through, the gate valve works like a water dang when it is open or closed

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For tuning the flow of water, gate valves are preferred because in both Herbie and bean animal, You can fine tune them Silent and consistently. My frag tank sits by feet behind my work computer. It has an eclipse small overflow running a Herbie. It is completely silent. I was able to tune it over the course of many hours, turning the wheel. Maybe a 32nd of a turn. Let it run and settle out for 20 minutes and make another small adjustment.

I haven't touched this plumbing in 3 months, and it has not deviated. That level of control is near impossible with a brand new ball valve. Impossible after it's run it's while.
Thanks for explanation,much appreciated

JessOReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both, gate will work but its a huge PITA. Go with the gate!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back