Ballast for Radium 250w

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say a few nice packs from World Wide Corals did transfer well to t5s.

Attachments

• 20220118_201629.jpg
    20220118_201629.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220118_201611.jpg
    20220118_201611.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220118_201658.jpg
    20220118_201658.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Mustard.jpg
    Mustard.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 23

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets hope Hamilton would get it done and we would have the M80s back in stock! I'm sure they are probably working hard trying to figure that out.
Not sure this is happening. They've reduced the number of Metal Halide reflector options recently as well. I thought the m80 ballast removal was pandemic related but according to Hamilton they could no longer source the parts (assuming transformers). I use both led technology with the Phillips Coral Care and MH with 250 watt Radiums. I prefer the Radiums all the way but have to say I am concerned long term for MH survival in this niche.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure this is happening. They've reduced the number of Metal Halide reflector options recently as well. I thought the m80 ballast removal was pandemic related but according to Hamilton they could no longer source the parts (assuming transformers). I use both led technology with the Phillips Coral Care and MH with 250 watt Radiums. I prefer the Radiums all the way but have to say I am concerned long term for MH survival in this niche.
I spent an hour sourcing parts for the M80 and it uses a very specific Advanced transformer no longer available. It is something like 3. 0 amp from 110 v. There is an article on Boston Reefers showing all M80 parts previously sold as a kit from Hello lights.

Radium 400w with the Icecap ballast is still readily available. 250 W radium bulb is also an option with Icecap. I think the 400 watt solutions will be around longer as the ballasts are more commercially common.

I am ok for 3 or 4 years and radiums are still made. Rumors of them discontinuing are 10 years old.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think Radiums are going anywhere soon. There has been a sure sign of a downshift in aquarium MH tech. in the US over the past few years though and not sure it's ever coming back. My fingers are crossed that I'm wrong.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some simple hammertone reflectors are hard to come by. Hamilton seems to be at mercy of importers not delivering.

Having LEDs I really do appreciate the modularity of halides. Nothing is a critical failure and a throw away after 5 years of use. Probably not a popular opinion but radium 400 is tought to beat. I think it is really just a 10K with less white,

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent an hour sourcing parts for the M80 and it uses a very specific Advanced transformer no longer available. It is something like 3. 0 amp from 110 v. There is an article on Boston Reefers showing all M80 parts previously sold as a kit from Hello lights.

Radium 400w with the Icecap ballast is still readily available. 250 W radium bulb is also an option with Icecap. I think the 400 watt solutions will be around longer as the ballasts are more commercially common.

I am ok for 3 or 4 years and radiums are still made. Rumors of them discontinuing are 10 years old.
Aquarium Specialty shows the M80’s in stock.? Have they not updated their website this whole year?

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill take a look. They are not know for keeping things updated but maybe...

I just sourced selectable electronic ballast. I am of opinion Aquarium Specialty will not really have it available but good luck. It has a limiting part you could make yourself but too much trouble I think.

Last edited:

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got several dual 400 watt pfo ballasts,, i think radium changed thier bulb design the newer bulbs dont last very long when being overdriven

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's been about 15 years or more since I've run radiums, but I found some old research that I'd done on another forum. I'm not sure if PaulErik is still around, but on the old RC, he was one of the OG lighting gurus. Here's what he had to say:

A North American 250-watt HPS (ANSI S50) is similar to a metal halide HQI (ANSI M80) Ballast. Both ballasts limit lamp current to the same level (3.0 amps). The main difference is the starting voltage and starting amperage. The difference is generally close enough to not cause any major problems. The only problem could be reliable lamp starting. After start up both ANSI S50 and ANSI M80 ballasts will operate a lamp similarly. Higher voltage lamp starters are available but are not common. In the commercial industry we have installed ANSI M80 spec lamps in HPS fixtures but we replaced the lamp starter/ignitor with a high voltage (4000-5000V) superimposed ignitor. The lamps did light with standard HPS ignitor but when lamps age they require a higher starting voltage to light reliably. In the commercial lighting field the lamps will be used for a longer time period than in the aquarium lighting field so this might not be a problem.

I used an S50 ballast to push my radiums and never had a problem firing them off. And I don't recall that longevity was compromised either. ymmv

Edit: eesh! Didn't realize I replied to a very old thread. Apologies.

Last edited:
Back