Ballast for Radium 250w

6t74two7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,
I am currently running 250w Radiums and need a new ballast. I am unable to source a new M80 ballast (discontinued by Hamilton).
So,
Has anyone tried running the Radium on a 315w CMH ballast? It is the closest wattage output to a radium/M80 combo. Also, it is a low frequency ballast (100Hz-400Hz) close to a magnetic ballasts 60Hz. The biggest difference is the output is square wave vs sine wave. I asked multiple ballast manufactures about using a 315w CMH ballast with the Radium… answers varied from it would work well and others said it wouldn’t work.

Any input is appreciated

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess your options are either try to source it, use the alternative or replace the Radium. If the ballast manufacturers are on the fence, I don’t think you’ll get anything more definitive here.

Last edited:

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All,
I am currently running 250w Radiums and need a new ballast. I am unable to source a new M80 ballast (discontinued by Hamilton).
So,
Has anyone tried running the Radium on a 315w CMH ballast? It is the closest wattage output to a radium/M80 combo. Also, it is a low frequency ballast (100Hz-400Hz) close to a magnetic ballasts 60Hz. The biggest difference is the output is square wave vs sine wave. I asked multiple ballast manufactures about using a 315w CMH ballast with the Radium… answers varied from it would work well and others said it wouldn’t work.

Any input is appreciated
Are they really discontinued? Wow! Still running Radiums as well. I thought Hamilton not having them was covid related like some of their MH reflectors. Any info you find on a new ballast or m80 source would be appreciated. Otherwise we'll have to go electronic which really hurts the output of a Radium even on a super lumens setting.

90's reefer, just checked Aquarium Specialty and says out of stock. Most other hamilton ballasts on their site say ships from Manufacturer.

This is not good!

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they really discontinued? Wow! Still running Radiums as well. I thought Hamilton not having them was covid related like some of their MH reflectors. Any info you find on a new ballast or m80 source would be appreciated. Otherwise we'll have to go electronic which really hurts the output of a Radium even on a super lumens setting.

90's reefer, just checked Aquarium Specialty and says out of stock. Most other hamilton ballasts on their site say ships from Manufacturer.

This is not good!
They are IN stock at aquarium specialties.
I run phoenix de 250's on my 120 and a hamilton se 250 with electornic ballast on my frag system.
Only way to tell is contact hamilton and get a response.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are IN stock at aquarium specialties.
I run phoenix de 250's on my 120 and a hamilton se 250 with electornic ballast on my frag system.
Only way to tell is contact hamilton and get a response.
I'm sorry...aquarium specialties or aquarium specialty? This is a screen shot from aquarium specialty. I apologize if I'm referring to the wrong place.

And yes, I've put in a query to Dave at Hamilton. I'll let you all know when I hear.
Thanks
Screenshot_20210926-212727_Chrome.jpg

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry...aquarium specialties or aquarium specialty? This is a screen shot from aquarium specialty. I apologize if I'm referring to the wrong place.

And yes, I've put in a query to Dave at Hamilton. I'll let you all know when I hear.
Thanks
Thats the place. I was able to put one in my cart and proceed to checkout. So not sure.
Hamilton sells the fixtures so they may be out of ballasts.
Let us know what they say.

OP
OP

6t74two7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Thats the place. I was able to put one in my cart and proceed to checkout. So not sure.
Hamilton sells the fixtures so they may be out of ballasts.
Let us know what they say.
I spoke with Dave last week. He stated they are unable to source the transformer to produce the M80. I asked if it was a COVID supply chain issue and the response was “No”. Shortly after the conversation the M80 was removed from their web site.

Hope he made a mistake but it isn’t looking that way

Daniel

OP
OP

6t74two7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
Thanks, I tried ordering from them first only to have my order canceled. Their site says factory direct.

Daniel

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Daniel. That's a bummer. I did read online somewhere that you can run a Radium on a M138 ballast. It was a list of quite a few MH bulbs at different wattages and what ballast would run them. I'll see if I can find again. Anyone stumbling upon this thread have any info on this? It would be nice to find an alternative.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I found. After searching again I realized it was actually from another MH thread from here. Dieselkeeper was the forum member who originally posted this to give them credit.
Article:

Thread:

If you open up the article and look under Radium 250 it states M80 and M138 as the ballasts you can use.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an M138 will run a Radium but like an electronic ballast it won't drive it to spec and there may be a color shift in the lamp.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I spent hour trying to source M80. Advance #71A5880 HX-HPF Autotransformer is not available other than used.

-Reeflex M80 resold by Aqualine is gone.
-Hamilton does not sell the M80 or M138 variant anylonger and electronics ballasts are months out of stock. They claim it is not discontinued.
- Correct me if I am wrong but my impression is the advance part cited above is the limiting gap as a specialty to convert to US electricity to 3 amp light 100 v over driven circuit.

Radium bulbs are still available so how are people using them??

-M138 ballast are still can be found but no real advantage over an electronic ballast.

I am heading in the direction of using Hamilton 20K that will run on electronic ballast still sourcable.

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We depend on manufacturers to start realizing the need for metal halide gear! We need some reliable companies to start taking this more seriously producing and advertising halides again, so more and more people could start having the amazing benefits of metal halides once more! It's a shame things have gone this way while so many of us are still willing to use halides!
I have tried Radium 250W bulbs with selectable LuxCore for a year and it works. It's just not the same, and looks bluer with the electronic ballast. The quality of the German bulb is so great!
So, the absence of the amazing M80 ballast isn't what is going to "kill" the Radium 250W IMO. It will be kinda hard for the metal halide market to get back to what it was, but not impossible. Back in 2010, if you started a metal halide thread like this you would be bombarded by LED users and it would just melt away. Today we see the value of halides coming back with so many important figures in this hobby understanding more it's superior benefits and results.
Lets hope Hamilton would get it done and we would have the M80s back in stock! I'm sure they are probably working hard trying to figure that out.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the 400 watt radium seems to use most 400 watt ballasts just fine so I am off in that direction with a few years of supplies.

I tried leds and never got that explosive growth phase. They just tinker along. Maybe me, I am not sure. To each their own. I realythink you needs to spend 5k in leds to replicate a Geiseman 2x400w Spectra fixture.

My current tank is using equivalent of 100 cc of each two part with 8 bulb ati fixture.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"M80 ballasts are dead Jim"... ;)
Sorry couldn't resist..
That said I did find this..

I don't get you real intentions with the majority of your posts in regards to be against metal halides. You don't even have a reef tank, man! LOL! You work against it as I and many others are in favor of them. I think you should notice that such comments aren't welcome in a thread like this. It starts to mess up what is rolling smooth. Try to resist your impulses and contain yourself to post such annoying jokes, Oreo.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get you real intentions with the majority of your posts in regards to be against metal halides. You don't even have a reef tank, man! LOL! You work against it as I and many others are in favor of them. I think you should notice that such comments aren't welcome in a thread like this. It starts to mess up what is rolling smooth. Try to resist your impulses and contain yourself to post such annoying jokes, Oreo.
You have no sense of humor?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back