Ballast run radiums

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tab28
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 1, 2011
Messages
2,182
Reaction score
217
Location
Orlando
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the magnetic ballast run a radium bulb? The unit i am looking at has that ballast standard but can be upgraded to an electric ballast.
 
without getting into technical details, short answer would be yes but, driving it to it's full potential is another mater.
 
What wattage are you looking to run? There are different types of magnetic ballasts. The 250 watt Radium needs an M80 ballast. The electronic select-a-watt ballasts out there have a setting for running Radiums (HQI). I find that they work well.
 
Will an electric, not selectable be better than magnetic? The wattage is a 250. The magnetic ballast has no designation to it just magnetic. It is the cebu sun from hamilton.
 
I have a cebu but opted to go with the electric and Radium no issues.
 
The correct ballast for Radiums is the magnetic M80 ballasts. Hamilton makes/sells them.
Anything else will alter the color and life of the Radium bulbs.
 
I have seen the m80 upgrade. Will that ballast have any issues running other bulbs?
 
The correct ballast for Radiums is the magnetic M80 ballasts. Hamilton makes/sells them.
Anything else will alter the color and life of the Radium bulbs.

Dennis, I called and talked to them before placing my order for the cebu, they didn't state that as a concern when I asked about the combo they sold me? Now I'm a little curious!?!?
 
Last edited:
I ran two Radiums side by side. One on a select a watt ballast on the HQI setting and the other on a M80 magnetic ballast. I got the same par and the same color. I could see no difference. The only difference I found was that the electronic ballast was drawing less wattage from the wall based on a watt meter. I didn't do a long term test though so I don't know if the electronic ballast would affect the life of the bulb. My guess is no.

The HQI setting on the electronic ballasts is meant to replicate a magnetic M80 ballast. As far as I can tell they do a good job.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new