bamboo shark temp tank size

charliethezero

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
139
Reaction score
85
Location
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought a shark egg thinking we would be upgrading before it hatched. I've had the egg for about a month and it's still going strong and getting big, but we also just decided to move in the spring. Husband doesn't want to upgrade till after the move now. How long can it stay in a 55 gallon? Would it be "okay" for a few weeks? I plan on setting up a stock tank for it till the move.
 
When born they are around 4-5". They don't compete well for food at all, and will need to be target fed. Are there any other fish? Sharks are more sensitive to poor water quality. They can also topple rocks that aren't stable and utilize more sand space. It should be ok very temporarily, but will definitely need a significantly larger tank, as they reach 3.5'.
 
I have a marine betta and three green chromis right now. The tank is very temporary and definitely plan for a good upgrade when we move. I was preparing for a 3-4 foot shark, the move just delayed my plans for a bit.
 
you might want to invest in some protection in the corners so your shark doesnt slam its nose into the square corners of the 55. Maybe get some plastic and round off the corners. It wont look good at all but the health of your shark is the most important thing until you can upgrade. Or, let someone else hang on to the shark until you upgrade.
 
I wouldn't worry about the corners for a bamboo shark, they can navigate corners, unlike more active 'open water' sharks.
 
Round and oval tanks are definitely better for all shark species... However, benthic sharks such as bamboo tend to do alright with corners.

A 55 gallon will be fine for around 2-3 months for your shark, the width is far from ideal but the shark should be able to manage without permanent damage.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new