0   0   0
I have a 65 gallon reef tank with
Blue devil damsel
Blue spotted watchman’s goby
Coral beuty
3 chromis
A pair of clowns
I’m looking to add a few other fish in the future as well

Is it possible for me to get a banana eel for my tank, I’ve read mixed things on banana eels being reef safe, and also the tank size that they need

thanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A banana eel needs at least a 180g to kept with any fish, and fish that will survive will be large semi to aggressive fish, many like large angels and triggers will not be reef safe.

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A banana eel needs at least a 180g to kept with any fish, and fish that will survive will be large semi to aggressive fish, many like large angels and triggers will not be reef safe.
don’t banana eels get the same size as snowflake eels? What makes them need a much bigger tank than the snowflake?

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any eel in the gymnothorax family is not a good candidate for a reef tank with small fish. While they are beautiful eels they would most likely go after your fish. A snowflake would be a more suitable.
I have a snowflake in another tank, so is there any other candidates for reef safe eels? Thanks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don’t banana eels get the same size as snowflake eels? What makes them need a much bigger tank than the snowflake?

There's alot more to tank size than the size of the fish. These are aggressive eels that have rows of sharp fang style teeth that rip and tear apart fish, fish are their main diet. They are strong dynamic swimmers that will get as thick as a man's forearm. Please don't listen to someone that has a baby banana eel that they have had for a couple of months, and tell you that they are a model citizen. And sadly most never keep snowflakes to maturity and they deserve a larger tank than most provide. If you were to keep the banana eel alone in a 90g or with another comparable eel that would be fine. But for any fish to survive, a 180g would be the smallest tank appropriate, the fish would be the size and aggression to need at least a 180g.

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's alot more to tank size than the size of the fish. These are aggressive eels that have rows of sharp fang style teeth that rip and tear apart fish, fish are their main diet. They are strong dynamic swimmers that will get as thick as a man's forearm. Please don't listen to someone that has a baby banana eel that they have had for a couple of months, and tell you that they are a model citizen. And sadly most never keep snowflakes to maturity and they deserve a larger tank than most provide. If you were to keep the banana eel alone in a 90g or with another comparable eel that would be fine. But for any fish to survive, a 180g would be the smallest tank appropriate, the fish would be the size and aggression to need at least a 180g.
I upgraded to a 240 gallon Red Sea, 7’ by 26” by 26”, I have larger and more aggressive fish now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back