Banana eel vs jeweled

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im abit puzzled on why these 2 fish have such different tank size needs if they were both the only fish in a tank would the banana eel still be such a difference in tank size or could the banana be in say a 60-75 gallon tank if it was alone

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+29+1689&pcatid=1689 <---- jeweled says the recommended tank size is 50 gallon

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+29+1423&pcatid=1423 <---- banana 125 gallon

both of these fish get the same size so why so big of a difference in tank size,

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish have exactly the same requirements, at least a 125g with suitable aggressive tank mates. They will both get to about the same length and girth, and depending on the individual, a similar level of aggression and an aggressive swim style..

While you can compare these 2 eels, for future reference it's more than just size that goes into choosing the optimum tank. It's temperament and habits are usually more important.

If you did want keep one of these eels in a 75g alone, you better button down the hatches and keep him on a very strict feeding schedule. What I mean is they can actually push up lids and such, you need to secure the top with clamps, clips, weights, or gorilla tape. And all eels benefit and should be keep on a regular feeding schedule.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is possible to have 1 alone without any stress to the fish ect i dont want to be like that guy on youtube that has his fire eel in a 55 gallon tank and refuse to upgrade it

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is possible to have 1 alone without any stress to the fish ect i dont want to be like that guy on youtube that has his fire eel in a 55 gallon tank and refuse to upgrade it

I don’t know “that guy on Youtube” but what tank do you have? a 60-75? The 55? other?

I would advise against those eels..... but you probably “can”. Stressed or not, I don’t know how well eels do, I haven’t had one

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He really needs at least a 6 foot tank, as Ive stated before, he has a very aggressive swim style and would be cramped in anything less. The fire eel is a common name for the Gymnothorax miliaris, which is just a different color morph as the banana eel.

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what would you suggest for a 75 gallon

have you looked into the golden dwarf moray? Not quite as colorful as the banana eel in most cases but if you want a yellow eel for your 75g Ithink it would be a good choice.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you looked into the golden dwarf moray? Not quite as colorful as the banana eel in most cases but if you want a yellow eel for your 75g Ithink it would be a good choice.
Yea looked into Snowflake and the Golden dwarf had my heart set on Banana but will look for other options so just want to get a good idea of every eel that would be compatible with a 75 gallon as i think its like the max i can go as i'm from the UK and basements are not really a thing here so there is noway i can add extra support to my floor

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea looked into Snowflake and the Golden dwarf had my heart set on Banana but will look for other options so just want to get a good idea of every eel that would be compatible with a 75 gallon as i think its like the max i can go as i'm from the UK and basements are not really a thing here so there is noway i can add extra support to my floor

Have you seen the skeletor? They’re somewhat ‘exotic’ as I don’t think too many people keep them. I think one would be ok in a 75.

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would happily take a skeletor but same as banana says they require 125 its annoying all the eels i would love require 125 lol :p my dream eel would be the tesselata but thats 180

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would happily take a skeletor but same as banana says they require 125 its annoying all the eels i would love require 125 lol :p my dream eel would be the tesselata but thats 180

Didn’t know the skeletor needed such a large tank. It’s hard to find consistent information, there’s so much variation in “minimum tank sizes” for eels according to different sources. Definitely can be frustrating at times but I think it’s worth erring on the more careful side

OP
OP
Dave1993

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol ikr you go to 1 site it tells you something then you go to another site it tells you something completely different

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skeletor eel is a case where analyzing a fish's temperment and habits come into play. While a skeletor can be a little more active than say a snowflake and maybe just a slight more aggressive, they are just like most eels and stay tucked away most of the time. They are a pebble tooth and would ony threaten the smallest less evasive fish. I would have no problem keeping one in a 75g with a few semi aggressive fish like a dwarf angel and small tang.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back