Banded Sleeper Goby

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I got a Tiger Jawfish and this guy at the same time (mid-last week), both were similarly sized. I noticed the last 2 days, that the Sleeper Goby was kind of hassling the Jawfish, every time the jawfish went to chill in one of the 3 burrows he made, the Goby would boot him out. Both were eating fine, and I didn't notice any food aggression, just a little territory dispute (which is natural for the Goby) which I assumed would work itself out as they became established. However, this evening, I noticed the crabs pulling at something in one of the burrows, and sure enough, the Tiger Jawfish was dead.

So, a couple of questions.

Do you think the Goby killed the Jawfish? I mean they were both about 2.5-3" in length, the jawfish might have been a little smaller, but not by much, maybe 1/8 - 1/4".

If you do think the Goby killed the Jawfish, do you think it would do the same to a Flasher wrasse if I happen to get one?

I just find it odd, as the Goby might be territorial, but it's not really supposed to be aggressive or mean...

Appreciate any input...

OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're they both eating? Usually a bullied fish doesn't eat and I'd be suspect to that over a goby killing the jawfish. Not that it can't happen.
D
He (The jawfish) ate Wednesday & Thursday for sure, I watched him swipe food out of the water column. Wednesday was pellets, and Thursday was frozen food. I didn't pay attention Friday or Saturday, and he died this afternoon, I found him right before I was about to feed. The Goby actually has not eaten during feeding time, but has been grazing away at the algae on the rocks and sand since they were both introduced to the tank.

On Wednesday and Thursday I didn't notice that much of the territorial behavior from the Goby, I just saw the jawfish moving around the tank making various burrows, once it was because some hermits invaded his space, I am not sure what prompted the other times. But Friday afternoon is when I noticed the Goby pushing the jawfish out of his various burrows. Today, he was chasing him around the tank in small spurts. I couldn't see any signs of distress on the jawfish (no torn fins, no marks of any kind) so I figured they were just establishing a pecking order...

Last edited:
OP
OP
JNalley

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 32g with two fish fighting and such. Not a lot of room for fish to get away and take a break or a breather.
Sorry
D
It's not a 32, the tank they're in is a 48... still not a bunch of room, but it's far more room than the Fluval (my daughters tank) considering the Fluval also has the AIO in it...

Also, I edited/updated with some more info while you were posting...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back