Bangai with a mouth full of eggs.

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 bangai cardinals in my 75, and two of three paired up, and now one is carrying eggs.

I couldn't get a super crisp picture, but I'll share what i got...

Question is, I also have a big diadema urchin, and I know bangai cardinals like to hide among the urchin's spines for protection, so is it possible that I could have some survive? That would be epic!

20191116_182726.jpg 20191116_182740.jpg 20191116_182752.jpg

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You first need to have the male be strong enough to hold the eggs for weeks without eating. Usually the first several attempts are not successful, but it’s possible! Good luck!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would get the young to term. But in a high flow tank with hungry fish, they quickly disappeared.

To raise cardinals, you would need to get the male into a tank with moderate enough flow so as to not kill the fry and offer the fry food that is small enough for them to eat.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting him to hold them.is the hard part. Id set him up a seperate tank or acclimation box with a fake urchin. I made one outta epoxy and zipties.

And on a side note if you have 3 i would rehome the third before aggression starts.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome!! Keep us posted on how they do!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Very exciting story as always when we get any of our specimens to breed within our tank and in captivity.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He'll mouth brood until the fry get too large and can sorta fend for themselves. I've heard of pairs being over zealous and the male eventually starving to dead from not eating...

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get Banggai fry regularly. Use some BBS and 100 Micron fry food (good for corals too). My LFS buys my babies after they're 3 months old minimum. Here's my male about to release fry tomorrow. The 2nd photo is the babies around a week old. It's best to get the male out into another tank or low flow area of a refugium before the other fish eat them. He releases the fry in the wee hours of the morning. He goes 21 days without food. Once he releases the fry, he's hungry!

20190405_202432.jpg 20190409_191930.jpg

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CHUBBY CHEEKS! As a huge fan of paternal mouthbrooding bettas, I absolutely love cardinals. I plan to house five in my tank as soon as I can locate them and afford them.
Congrats on the mouthful, I hope he holds to term. Now on my bettas, females sometimes can be impatient and will spawn a male to death. Only real pros can hold and eat at the same time. I’m not sure about cards though. But I would move him a couple days to a week before he’s due to release. Place him in a breeder net or similar. Let him release his fry, and hold him on there for a few days offering him some really good high quality foods just to make up for the time he was holding. Then you can let him go with his girlfriend. Good luck with him, and congrats again!

naoki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get Banggai fry regularly. Use some BBS and 100 Micron fry food (good for corals too). My LFS buys my babies after they're 3 months old minimum. Here's my male about to release fry tomorrow. The 2nd photo is the babies around a week old. It's best to get the male out into another tank or low flow area of a refugium before the other fish eat them. He releases the fry in the wee hours of the morning. He goes 21 days without food. Once he releases the fry, he's hungry!

You mentions that it is best to put him into another tank, but do you let him release the babies in the community tank and catch them after they are released? Do you have any other fish which might quickly snatch them? Or if you transfer him, how do your prevent him eating the eggs/babies? I have transferred the male to a separate tank, but he ate them twice (once early and once late in his "pregnancy"). To catch him with less stress, I woke up in the middle of night when fish were sleeping, and I could catch him relatively quickly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You mentions that it is best to put him into another tank, but do you let him release the babies in the community tank and catch them after they are released? Do you have any other fish which might quickly snatch them? Or if you transfer him, how do your prevent him eating the eggs/babies? I have transferred the male to a separate tank, but he ate them twice (once early and once late in his "pregnancy"). To catch him with less stress, I woke up in the middle of night when fish were sleeping, and I could catch him relatively quickly.
If you net him- he'll eat them. Trap with a container and release from container into new tank

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience netting them usually causes them to spit up the babies, not eat them. Then again every father is different and some are better than others.

To catch my males before release, I go in the middle of the night long after lights out. A sleeping cardinal is way easier to catch than an awake one :)

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a live Urchin? I must get one - even a fake one. My male let all the babies go in the wee hours of this morning and they got devoured by my carnivores. He's too hard to catch so I thought I'd be ok like my last batch. I prefer to leave him in the DT to reduce any stress. Now I have to wait another month. This is the first batch I have ever lost.
Anyone know where I can get a fake urchin with long spines?
Edit - I found thin black carbon fibre spines at my local hobby shop. Going to put them into a blackened golf ball to simulate an urchin.

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great idea.
My grandkids used these 1mm black carbon fiber rods to make a solar system using foam balls. I'm going to knead a ball of 2 part epoxy (it's like putty that sets hard in a few minutes) and stick a bunch of these through. Obviously I can't get the Styrofoam balls to sink. I'll need to be quick but I'm sure it will work.

20191126_143058.jpg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 188 71.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 49 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.7%
Back