Banggai Cardinal Feeding strategies

schleppey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, I am looking how to optimally feed my pair of banggai. If you guys have had these guys you know they can be quite skittish and are very partial to frozen food. I would like to feed them LRS reef frenzy but there is often quite a bit of uneaten food when give that to them. It seems 70% of the food will be the right size and will get eaten but the other 30% is just dusting my tank in particulates and little uneaten chunks falling in the rocks. The main problem is I will take a baster to suck up a little of the LRS chunks and they get scared when I put it in the water, or if I just shoot it in from above. They end up hiding behind the rockwork and then I have to feed almost blindly, likely causing extra waste. I know that I am overfeeding as I have been dealing with some slight algae problems as of late. To avoid this I have been feeding mysis as it is a little more controllable, but they cant eat pure mysis forever.

How do you guys economically(waste wise) feed your more skittish fish? My pair has been in my tank for months now and has yet to get completely used to the feeding process and I don't want to have to eternally overfeed. got any tips or strategies?

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would only eat dried brine shrimp and garlic flavored pellets when I first got it. Mainly only when the food was still floating though. Now it eats pretty much anything including frozen mysis

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Male banggai cardinal hold the eggs in their mouth so if they're not eating that could be one reason something to think about my banggai Cardinals eat frozen mysis and brine but only at the beginning like three or four big gulps and they're done

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine for 3.5 years and the only thing it eats is frozen. I feed my fish a mixture of frozen Hikari cubes, eats all the different varieties they come in.

OP
OP
schleppey

schleppey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds good guys I am going to hit them with a greater variety of food to keep them ravenous. Thanks

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back