Dragonets food type

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished 30 days of qt with my main fish. I also qt’d a pair of dragonets, then placed them in a 150 gallon stock tank, I was culturing pods in. Live rocks from the stock tank were placed in our aquarium, in hopes of having enough pods to sustain them for as long as they live.

The interesting thing I found today, while feeding our other tank inhabitants was the ruby reds started eating (Spirulina) mysis, along with other mixtures I add for feeding. I add selcon and beta carotene to every meal, so I’m not at all worried about this supplementing their diet.

My question is, has any one experienced this feeding habit without training them, or did we win a small lottery?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished 30 days of qt with my main fish. I also qt’d a pair of dragonets, then placed them in a 150 gallon stock tank, I was culturing pods in. Live rocks from the stock tank were placed in our aquarium, in hopes of having enough pods to sustain them for as long as they live.

The interesting thing I found today, while feeding our other tank inhabitants was the ruby reds started eating (Spirulina) mysis, along with other mixtures I add for feeding. I add selcon and beta carotene to every meal, so I’m not at all worried about this supplementing their diet.

My question is, has any one experienced this feeding habit without training them, or did we win a small lottery?
Some may learn to eat frozen and prepared others won't.

Biota raised dragnet seem to do well on frozen/prepared.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering both these were wild caught and ruby reds, I’d say we somehow got very lucky. Both these were purchased from two different stores.
Scooters are more likely to eat a variety of prepared foods. Mandarins are the really picky dragonets.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Biota mandarins. I purchased the male, waited a few months and purchased the female. Both ate TDO pellets from the beginning. Their main diet is LRF nano, as soon as I turn the pump off they look for their frozen food.

OP
OP
Torontotraders

Torontotraders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Biota mandarins. I purchased the male, waited a few months and purchased the female. Both ate TDO pellets from the beginning. Their main diet is LRF nano, as soon as I turn the pump off they look for their frozen food.
Awe yes! This is something I definitely noticed. When the pumps are off, they’re seeking out their meals . I suppose I’ll have to setup the pumps to time off at least a few times a day. They’re not the fastest little guys, that’s for sure.

fishnchips17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened with my green spotted mandarin also, she was strictly a pod eater and one day she just tried frozen and loved it. I didn't do anything special to train her.

Now when the pumps goes off, she goes to her frag rack and waits for me to sprinkle some frozen treats for her to pick off the frag rack.

This encourages me to get her a mate since she can teach him to eat frozen also.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back