Ruby Red Dragonet

SimplisticDesign

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 11, 2023
Messages
56
Reaction score
11
Location
Wisconsin
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic Noticed my ruby red dragonet that I’ve owned for about a week (was in 30 day qt from LFS) starting to behave very abnormal. His behaviors:

Trying to jump out of tank
Swimming high in top corners
Open swimming
Tail curled sideways, back tail not spread out and closed
Uninterested in food
Beats per Min : 56

My parameters are as follows:

78 degrees F
8.3 pH
Nitrate 9
Phosphate .06
Calcium 430
Alkalinity 8.7
Salinity 1.025
Zero ammonia, zero nitrite.
Mixed Reef Tank
Filter Floss
Skimmer 24/7 running
No refuigum (in the making, waiting for extra part to come in to set it in sump)

Feed 2x a day (tiger pods & arcti pods) I try to spot feed it, but it’s very shy, so I spot feed under rock he’s in.

My tank was an upgrade from a smaller tank, but I’ve been dosing copepods 2x daily. He’s always been this skinny. I’ve been feeding tigger pods & arcti pods.

I put him in a breedebox as he’s been trying to jump out of the tank, his back tail is closed up kind of interlocked and with a slight curl at the end. I put some copepods in the breeder box and he’s been uninterested.

Stock list:

Two Picassos (very friendly with the ruby red)
3 Bandai cardinals
Firefish

tank is a 36 display with a 25 gallon sump.

IMG_0750.jpeg IMG_0753.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0752.mov
    92.4 MB
Last edited:
Hi,

Those symptoms are not specific for any disease, just general stress. I think you can rule out external protozoans because the fish's skin is cleat and it is not breathing fast.

The fish is indeed very skinny. That in itself can cause issues - what happens with a fish that is not getting enough food, is that they utilize their liver for energy. Eventually, their live fails and they begin to die.

Another possible issue is that this is a symptom of cyanide poisoning. Dragnets (these and mandarins) are tricky to catch. In some many areas, divers resort to using cyanide to stun the fish. In turn, this causes residual damage that causes the fish to die a month or two after collection. Symptoms of this issue are variable, and it can't be tested for.

Overall, this is a very delicate species that I've had a lot of trouble with myself.

Jay
 
Hi,

Those symptoms are not specific for any disease, just general stress. I think you can rule out external protozoans because the fish's skin is cleat and it is not breathing fast.

The fish is indeed very skinny. That in itself can cause issues - what happens with a fish that is not getting enough food, is that they utilize their liver for energy. Eventually, their live fails and they begin to die.

Another possible issue is that this is a symptom of cyanide poisoning. Dragnets (these and mandarins) are tricky to catch. In some many areas, divers resort to using cyanide to stun the fish. In turn, this causes residual damage that causes the fish to die a month or two after collection. Symptoms of this issue are variable, and it can't be tested for.

Overall, this is a very delicate species that I've had a lot of trouble with myself.

Jay
What could I do in the mean time ? It’s in the breeder box, but still uninterested? I love this little one.
 
What could I do in the mean time ? It’s in the breeder box, but still uninterested? I love this little one.
There isn’t anything to be done if it is from cyanide.

Can you get or hatch out live baby brine shrimp to try to feed it that?
 
There isn’t anything to be done if it is from cyanide.

Can you get or hatch out live baby brine shrimp to try to feed it that?
I called all my LFS nearby me and none of them have any live brine shrimp.. uggg
 
Did he die?
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 35.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new