Banggai Cardinal fish

Jblaine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Banggia Cardinal fish that have had babies before and several fry made it. Lately the male has been holding the eggs for a few days, then his jaw goes back to normal like he just ate the eggs. How do I prevent this? They are in a reef tank with several other fish but that is where they had the fry before. Does anyone know what might cause the male to not rear the fry?
Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have two Banggia Cardinal fish that have had babies before and several fry made it. Lately the male has been holding the eggs for a few days, then his jaw goes back to normal like he just ate the eggs. How do I prevent this? They are in a reef tank with several other fish but that is where they had the fry before. Does anyone know what might cause the male to not rear the fry?
Thanks
its the other fish likely intimidating him or know he as eggs in its mouth and harassing him

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was wondering if that was the case
That that happen myself and with the amount of fish I had at the time, the cardinal did not stand a chance

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't eat while holding the eggs/fry. Do you feed enough that he's able to fatten up before they lay.

OP
OP
Jblaine

Jblaine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't eat while holding the eggs/fry. Do you feed enough that he's able to fatten up before they lay.
I tend to feed to much according to other people I talk to. I feed 2 times a day

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back