Banggai cardinal in QT gasping and swimming upside down

kels64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pun intended? Maybe in part because I showed him his remaining sick fish and the pictures I had of the ones I bought (parasite defecated, emaciated, peeling scales) while he had 7-8 customers in his store that could have heard me in passing.

Normally I would want to let fish freshly shipped to a store acclimate for a couple days before buying them. What are your thoughts on letting them get acclimated and eating vs not letting them spend much time there before taking them home vs shopping elsewhere?
There are some reputable places online that you can buy some very nice fish. Many of them have a good guarantee for up to two weeks for some of them. Live aquaria is one and I have gotten some very nice fish from there. I wouldn’t shop from this local fish store if you can help it. It sounds like they are not doing everything they can to make sure that their livestock is healthy. The worst feeling in the world is to put fish in your tank and then discover their sick and then your whole tank ends up contaminated. I’m so sorry for your loss!

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White stringy poop is usually an internal illness / parasite and you'd have to treat them with medicated food. Although those spots indicate bacterial infection, or maybe brook?

OP
OP
BurtMacklin

BurtMacklin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White stringy poop is usually an internal illness / parasite and you'd have to treat them with medicated food. Although those spots indicate bacterial infection, or maybe brook?
Yeah the white stringy poop was definitely a parasite as it came out within 24 hours of treatment with Prazi Pro. I agree these guys also had bacterial infection. Unfortunately not the healthiest.

OP
OP
BurtMacklin

BurtMacklin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So bummed for you. The hobby can be so frustrating sometimes!
I'll set up again and get them through this next one. Just sad I wont be able to get these in the DT before my gf leaves the country from March to December. We've been working on this build since November, so it would have been nice to finish before she leaves.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back