Banggai Cardinalfish Chin Wart?

WheelchairStud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Summary:
About 2 weeks ago I received a Banggai Cardinalfish from LiveAquaria Diver's Den. I placed the fish in a shorter term 10g quarantine holding tank. Since I have had the fish I noticed what I would call a brown fuzzy wart-like growth on its chin. I have been trying to figure out what this imperfection is for days and I cannot figure it out. Thankfully the growth doesn't seem to be getting any bigger and the fish eats frozen mysis shrimp twice a day. Is this growth anything to worry about especially when introduced to the main display?

Medication:
I haven't run any copper but I have been running General Cure + Metroplex combo (medication schedule in the attachments).

Parameters:
Temp - 77.5-78.5
Salinity - 35ppt
Ammonia - 0-.25ppm
Nitrite - 0-.25ppm
Nitrate - 0
BaggaiCardinalChin.PNG
BanggaiCardinalChin2.jpeg
1644772328506.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown coloration is seen in some rare marine fungal infections. I’ve cured that using 75 ppm formalin dips for 45 minutes daily with good aeration for three to five days.
Just curious why you are dosing general cure and metroplex since they both contain metronidazole?

OP
OP
W

WheelchairStud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown coloration is seen in some rare marine fungal infections. I’ve cured that using 75 ppm formalin dips for 45 minutes daily with good aeration for three to five days.
Just curious why you are dosing general cure and metroplex since they both contain metronidazole?
Hey Jay, thanks for the heads up! I'll have to look more into formalin dips. Scary to see that this may fall under the category of "rare" lol oof.

Currently dosing this combination of General Cure and Metroplex since I don't have any Praziquantel on hand (General Cure has a mix of Prazi and Metro). Found others using this combination without risking any sort of OD as long as I keep up with water changes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back