Banggai cardinals in 65g

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted a pair of banggai cardinals in my tank, recently I came across some captive bred ones and I want to get 2. The seller said they'll try to find me a male/female pair but there's no guarantee. I know some people said get 4-5 then rehome once there is one pair paired together, but I don't really want to get that many fish. Will a 4' tank be okay for two even if they end up to be same sex or they will actually keep fighting until one die? I don't really care about breeding but I love the look of two just floating there lol.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a group of 2 in a 75g for a few years then added a third, he was smaller and would get chased sometimes but never any actual contact. Sometimes they would be together and sometimes the biggest would shoo the smaller one away from the group. I have no idea if mine were male or female, but they were all peaceful

OP
OP
sweetcoralina

sweetcoralina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a group of 2 in a 75g for a few years then added a third, he was smaller and would get chased sometimes but never any actual contact. Sometimes they would be together and sometimes the biggest would shoo the smaller one away from the group. I have no idea if mine were male or female, but they were all peaceful
I assume the first two never attempt to breed either?

NeedAReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted a pair of banggai cardinals in my tank, recently I came across some captive bred ones and I want to get 2. The seller said they'll try to find me a male/female pair but there's no guarantee. I know some people said get 4-5 then rehome once there is one pair paired together, but I don't really want to get that many fish. Will a 4' tank be okay for two even if they end up to be same sex or they will actually keep fighting until one die? I don't really care about breeding but I love the look of two ju
I have had 5 pj cardinals in my 70 gal for 2 years no issues at all. Assuming they would be similar in temperament etc.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had to rehome my third banggai as it was starting to get relentlessly bullied by the other male. Ordered two and was sent three just in case one did not make it through shipping. They were all fairly small juveniles and would hang out together for the first month, but then two of them started to pair off and the odd one out was shunned to the other side of the tank. This was a 125 gal so it was okay for a few months but once the paired banggais started to have eggs the male began to go after the odd one out. It didn't work in a 6' tank so I'm not sure yours will be enough. Maybe with the right hiding places it could

Back