Bannerfish Bullying

Vertigo916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a smallish bannerfish 2 weeks ago. Slightly larger than my existing coral beauty and pair of clownfishes. The bannerfish is harassing both clowns and CB, to the point the smaller of the 2 clownfish is now hiding under the LR and hasn't eaten in 3 days. The larger clownfish and CB, although also being harassed continue to eat normally. Due to the number of LR, I'm unable to catch the smaller clown, so it's pretty much doomed if it doesn't start eating. It won't even swim out during feeding time. I've researched bannerfish and everything I've read stated they are peaceful and compatible with the fishes I already have. I'm not sure why the one I got is so mean?? I have a 75 gallon tank and the bannerfish is small enough where I think the tank is large enough for at least a few years before it outgrows the tank. Any ideas how to stop the bullying? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a smallish bannerfish 2 weeks ago. Slightly larger than my existing coral beauty and pair of clownfishes. The bannerfish is harassing both clowns and CB, to the point the smaller of the 2 clownfish is now hiding under the LR and hasn't eaten in 3 days. The larger clownfish and CB, although also being harassed continue to eat normally. Due to the number of LR, I'm unable to catch the smaller clown, so it's pretty much doomed if it doesn't start eating. It won't even swim out during feeding time. I've researched bannerfish and everything I've read stated they are peaceful and compatible with the fishes I already have. I'm not sure why the one I got is so mean?? I have a 75 gallon tank and the bannerfish is small enough where I think the tank is large enough for at least a few years before it outgrows the tank. Any ideas how to stop the bullying? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Maybe try the mirror trick (put a mirror on the tank, the banner fish will be distracted by his reflection and leave the clown alone)

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I want to point out a 75 will not be sufficient for a Bannerfish long term, these are really fish that need a 180 or more long term. I see huge ones at the public aquariums I’ve visited, I’m not sure how big they usually top out in captivity but they’re open water swimmers. For a 75, consider a smaller butterfly like a Roaps (more expensive).

Back