Barbonias Problem

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another thread going in a different forum, but I think it's time to ask here. I bought a seemingly healthy Barbonias anthias one week ago. He was in a tank with two others, all seemed fine and swimming normally. When I put him in QT for the first three days, he would hide either behind the top of the heater or HOB upside down. I got him to move, but he has glued himself either to side or underneath a rock. He is not eating or swimming at all. If I stick my hand in the tank to move the rock, he goes into my hand and won't leave. Any ideas? Others have said it could be swim bladder issue.

Latino277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like he is stressed. I would let him maintain water quality, feed and keep the lighting low until he comes around. Try to stay way from the tank as well.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my Blotched Anthias he spent the first week in the corner of the tank in a vertical position. I have seen him perched upside down within the rocks. So maybe it's swim bladder, maybe not? Not sure what you feed, but mine LOVES PE Mysis. He's a pig now.

I agree that he's definitely stressed. Dim the lights and maybe try some different foods to see if you can get it to eat. Once you get him eating I bet he'll be a big piggy like mine.

OP
OP
Breakthecycle2

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my Blotched Anthias he spent the first week in the corner of the tank in a vertical position. I have seen him perched upside down within the rocks. So maybe it's swim bladder, maybe not? Not sure what you feed, but mine LOVES PE Mysis. He's a pig now.

I agree that he's definitely stressed. Dim the lights and maybe try some different foods to see if you can get it to eat. Once you get him eating I bet he'll be a big piggy like mine.
I normally only use blue lights on the tank. I feed mysis, oyster eggs, spiralina and I tried live brine shrimp. In the tank with him is an Eightline Flasher wrasse that eats everything. The water quality should be OK. The QT has been up and running since August.

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're doing all the right things...Just keep trying to get him to eat? Otherwise you can have mine, haha...He's becoming the jerk of the tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^^I agree with this. In a perfect world, every fish acts normal/eats right away... but this doesn't always happen. I've QT'd fish that have hidden & gone a week or longer without eating (sometimes happens even when I transfer them into the DT.) Sometimes these fish bounce back, sometimes they die for no apparent reason. I think certain individual fish just aren't meant for captivity.

Are you treating with any meds in the QT? Did you see the fish eat at the LFS before you bought it (never take the LFS word for it ;))?

gtdjsuresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm having issues with one on mine also but mine is eating like normal but he's seem to always struggling to swim to the top of the tank and chills at the bottom of tank
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1457739863.051083.jpg

gtdjsuresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had him for 3 months and the last two weeks I seen him like this

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems too long to be a swim bladder issue. Any signs of injury or disease? Any discolorations or spots on him? Any white dots? Heavy breathing?

gtdjsuresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen an spots or discoloration but whe he try's to swim is when he start to breath heavy. I'm goin to put him in qt for now

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you put him in QT, post a video of him trying to swim. Maybe it is swim bladder after all.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 45 57.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back