Bare Bottom Dry Rock?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno, in almost 20 years I've done a lot of tanks with dry rock, and not had problems, or had to wait 18 months for sps to do well. Little tanks, big tanks, hasn't made a difference. Is this really a popular theory? Not being snide, just generally curious.
dry rock starts in general are widely regarded as a steeper climb. for all bare-bottom benefits the hobbyist in terms of nitrate management and dead spots in the substrate it also includes the caveat that it can result in a tougher system to manage.
brs is the source of my BB info as the few times i have started with substrate eventually added it.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with my rock in a rubber maid trash can 110 pounds dead rock and two blocks marine pure . Heater power head and filled with salt water. Through in a large shrimp . Let sit for four months. Got my tank ready and filled it halfway with water after putting plastic sheeting on the bottom of my tank. Put rock in tank marine pure in sump started tank . Just for s and giggles added a bottle of doc tims one and only. Started skimmer . Added pods . Put fish in. Started turf scrubber. I run about .005 phosphate have to add a teaspoon full of reef builder a day to keep alkalinity up. At7.5. Calcium one a week so far it has been 8 months for me and I am getting gha . Running just blue light now. One mushroom not happy . Other than gha everything has been smooth sailing.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back